Purigen and plants

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Is it ok to use them together ? I wanted to add some pothos to my ac110 but also run purigen about 4 bags. If it removes organic waste then wouldnt it impact the pothos?

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Is it ok to use them together ? I wanted to add some pothos to my ac110 but also run purigen about 4 bags. If it removes organic waste then wouldnt it impact the pothos?

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I don't know if this will help but I ran Purigen in my planted tank with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If you are adding purigen because you have pothos and still have high nitrates than it won't. If you are adding purigen while you have pothos and you have low nitrates than it will.

Removing excess organics that become nitrates should not be a problem because excess means the pothos are already not using (absorbing) all of the nitrates, ammonia or nitrites. Of course, over time, if you add enough purigen, you may notice an effect, so you can remove some of the purigen. Afaik, it doesn't "go bad" and it's only renewable for a certain number of times, so your purchases will last longer. No harm with that.

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
I think they are saying they use Purigen now and want to know if the pothos will be hurt if they add pothos to the tank. The short answer is no, the pothos is tough enough that it'll be fine - but it may not do as well as it would if the Purigen wasn't in the tank. Here's where it gets tricky, if you are running Purigen now adn still seeing any nitrates, there's a 'food source' for the pothos - but the plant will only be able to use a certain amount of 'food' too. If the plant is small, and the nitrate is small, you may add the pothos, the pothos uses the nitrate available and you notice the nitrate level drops off. The plant will grow to fit its food limits too. So, if you start with a small amount of nitrate and a large pothos, you'll still see the nitrate drop off, but the plant may not grow and may even yellow or drop some leaves if it's not fed enough.

This is extreme though - my mom kept the same pothos in a glass jar for years, giving it city water once a week. I'm sure that poor plant was starved to some degree, it never grow much over all those years, but it didn't die off either. It was limited by the amount of 'food' it could process out of the water.

Pothos also likes the sun. I moved a tank from the bedroom to the living room this past year. In the bedroom the pothos had the short end of the tank to hang over, blocking the sun from the west window from streaming into the tank too much. The pothos loved it. It put out leaves like crazy. I moved it, the same setup, into my livingroom. The pothos not had a north window a foot in front of the tank for light. Over a few months the pothos died off on me. It was simply not enough light, and I didn't want to add more light in this room either. I may try some pothos in my sump under the tank with a light source though.

If you want to give it a try, go for it, pothos is tough, just give it a little food an light and start small.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I have a liter of purigen running in a media reactor...i also have a ton of pothos that is growing lile crazy...uploadfromtaptalk1422817358530.jpguploadfromtaptalk1422817372826.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
The pothos will be fine. I have 10 pothos plants in my house. 8 get tap water once a week and are in hanging baskets, 2 filter tanks that also have purigen and excessive bio-filtration. The "filters" grow up to 3x faster in spite of the fact that the water is close to pristine 24/7. You can buy a roost light with a clamp for 10usd at Walmart or home depot and clip it to a hook on the ceiling with a cfl bulb to give the pothos light. You'll see insane root growth if you do this. I use the roost light at night, and to light the low light side of my 180. Multi purpose~

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store