New Fahaka Puffer

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I've wanted to get one of these guys for a while now and couldn't find one locally until now. From what I've read he's a lot smaller than what most people get them at. He's maybe an inch long. It's very fun to watch him swim around and hunt lol. But my main question is what to feed him at this size. I tried bloodworms and krill and he hasn't eaten either of those. I have seen him eat snails but my supply probably won't last forever. I have some in about three of my tanks and I just throw them in whenever I see them and can get ahold of them. Is there anything else I can try at this size? Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
It will eventually eat, its not picky eater. You can try brine shrimp, or chopped market prawn (shrimp), you should start to breed your own snail army to feed it or other hard shells invert.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
It will eventually eat, its not picky eater. You can try brine shrimp, or chopped market prawn (shrimp), you should start to breed your own snail army to feed it or other hard shells invert.
If I breed some snails and ghost shrimp would that be good? Feeding them a nice varied diet with proteins and veggies?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Try a small earth/compost worm, high in protein and puffers find them irresistible. My puffers love Hikari carnivore tablets. You can also try insects(large ants, earwigs, small roaches, I know it sounds gross), just be sure they are clean(haven't come into contact with pesticides). I havent sprayed pesticides in years and with no close neighbors, no insects are safe on my property.(between my puffers, aros, catfish and cichlids.) I have also bred crayfish(easy to do) as feeders for my puffers.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Try a small earth/compost worm, high in protein and puffers find them irresistible. My puffers love Hikari carnivore tablets. You can also try insects(large ants, earwigs, small roaches, I know it sounds gross), just be sure they are clean(haven't come into contact with pesticides). I havent sprayed pesticides in years and with no close neighbors, no insects are safe on my property.(between my puffers, aros, catfish and cichlids.) I have also bred crayfish(easy to do) as feeders for my puffers.
I have some sinking carnivore I may try. There may be pesticides sprayed around here. I'm not sure. I would love to breed crayfish once he gets bigger. I may try some bait worms if I can get some and gut load them.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
They(crayfish)can be raised/bred in small(10g tanks or buckets). You may want to consider a compost(red wriggler) worm bin, easy to set up and a lifetime supply of worms. I've made small bins out of 5gal buckets and stacked them, takes up very little space.

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Surface of the Sun, Arizona
Start breeding mystery snails now. When your puffer is smaller you can just harvest the small snails to feed then once he gets larger you'll be set with large snails too. Btw it'll take him a few weeks to a month to get used to his tank and eat regularly. Any pics?

uploadfromtaptalk1422758847388.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Snails, they are a very important part of their diet.(keeps the beak from over growing). I feed my puffs snails at least once a day.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Do mystery snails breed as easily as pond snails? I've read a little bit about worm composts, I was going to make one for my big fish. And yes. Here's a pic of him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store