Brace an acrylic tank against wall?

fredej80

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
central illinois
Just wondering if any of you can think of any reason not to brace an acrylic tank against a block basement wall? I'm setting up a 30" tall acrylic tank made of 1/2" just a couple inches from my basement wall and thought about sliding a sheet of foam between the back wall of the tank and the block wall to help support the the tank. I figured it would help relieve some of the stress on the seams to have it braced against the wall. I couldn't see what it would hurt but thought I'd ask?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
The question is ; why ? Is there a reason you might "need" more support? Is the stand weak? If so, focus on the stand, rather than a mickey-mouse fix.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
If it bows, and if that concerns you, then I actually would be more worried about the front bowing even more, if the back is braced. (In other words, the front will be the only place that will "give."
I would actually build a frame around the tank, probably with a middle vertical brace along the front and the back.

It may not be attractive, but a heck of a lot better than a broken tank.

Or, set up a very cool land/water environment where the water is only halfway up.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If you need the wall as support, the tank, imo, is structurally unsound and the wall won't solve the problem. If you don't need it, it's at best a cosmetic choice, but (not knowing enough structural design), I wouldn't rule out that it may make the tank more prone to leak.

Would that create uneven stress? I don't know the answer, so I'd not use a wall if I didn't need.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store