Tropical Gar

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
Any chance these will be more common for purchase? I never see them for sale. They definitely aren't showing up in any central Illinois LFS..ha. Anyone bought one recently?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
They are one of the rarest gars - They do pop up once in a while. I actually had mine up for sale last year or the year before - only got lowballers, so I kept her - so… this isn't a fish you'll see at your LFS.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Well I sold my 3 big ones a few years back for $250-300 each. So if anyone in the ny/nj/pa area knows where they ended up let me know I want to buy them back

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
They seem to be getting rarer - They could be had for about $150, and then $250-400, and now - probably closer to $400. (From a fellow fishkeeper. Retail, if you ever found one, would be twice that probably, here in the US, anyway.)

Growth is pretty slow. I got mine at about 14 inches, 2 years ago - She is now about 18 inches. This is under "natural" conditions - room temperature, an aberrant feeding schedule - so I'm sure her growth is close to what you can expect from a fish in nature.
My longnose, and alligator, have similar growth rate, under the same conditions - which says something, since Alligator gars usually grow very fast when babied / fed a lot in a tank.
They all live together and couldn't be happier.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I bought mine in Alaska at $125, picked up a few here for around the same price, those gars that looked hybrid which turned out to be Trops were $80 (thought I might as well buy them regardless of their genetics, cheap deal for trops).

Mine have usually grown to 14-16 inches, inch per week if fed feeder fish constantly, but then slowed down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store