Looking for ways to improve fry grow outs, and my observations.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
I just wanted to share some of my experience and seek some advice from the pros on here in regards to fry growth.

A month or so ago I purchased 6 red Texas, in hopes of getting one to fade. They were placed in a 60 gallon divided. As life happens, a new plan to remodel my home began, forcing me to lower my stock. I chose the most promising piece and kept him alone in a 40 gallon breeder. The others were placed in a100 gallon, at my shop tank, along with 50+ assorted Africans @3". A month has passed. The piece I chose grew about a inch. It's been doted on and fed whenever I was around, water change 2times a week @25%ea. The others grew almost 2 inches. Fed every other day with major competitors and wc done 25% every other week. What gives? I'd think the solo piece would grow the fastest? Is there any techniques you use to make your fry grow faster? I'd think cleaner water and good food would of made him grow faster. Is it the competition that made the others grow faster? Should I have left them all together in the first place? By no means not the most scientific but just my observation, and a surprising one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
What type of filtration is on both tanks? Were the tanks fed the same food items?

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Jag: the fish in the 100g are definitely more active. The single fish in the 40 usually just floats right in the middle waiting for food. The ones in the hundred are constantly bickering and chasing each other.

Axs: both tanks are fed NLS+ and hikari excel.
40 g has a Rena xp3 and Ac110 bare bottom
100 g has a old phlenm style under gravel with a ocean clear canister type filter plumbed underneath it. Little giant 1275g pump on it. Crush coral 3" deep.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Not enough sample numbers to draw any real conclusion from the data provided. Your result could be due to any number of reasons, including genetics.

A year from now all of the sample fish could be the same size. I've had juvies that started slow, then later went through large growth spurts.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
More exercise equates to more calories being burned up, so unless those fish in the larger tank are eating a lot more than the one that's flying solo, they should be smaller, not twice as large.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Fish always grow faster bigger in a larger tank.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
The only thing I can figure is the guys in the big tank are getting more food somehow.

kevchooi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2014
Fish paradise
Maybe less stressed out in larger water volume and stressed out fish may release pheromones inhibiting growth. This is true (pheromones) for kois not sure about others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store