(Planning) on Getting Moray Eel need advice

Soph

Feeder Fish
Feb 1, 2015
Kampot
Hey guys/gals i've been raising fish for about twelve years now and I just made an account to ask these questions. As the title suggests I saw one at my local fish market under the label giant moray eel. It looked like a very dark shade of green mixed with brown, blue freckle like dots across it's body, about a meter long and was sold to someone for four thousand Us Dollars. The shop owner had it in a shallow 1 meter by 1 meter cement pond and after seeing it I got home and started thinking and read up on it through google and I figured that this community should have a lot more things I can learn.

Parameters of plan

Money is not an object (i'll keep wishing), I do however live on a beach in Southeast Asia

Tank size

I'm not planning on getting married any time soon so I want to convert a part of my house into a giant fishtank, there seems to be quite a few of those on this website and I think it would be interesting. Would a thousand five hundred gallons worth of tank space be enough for the fish to live out the rest of its life? or should I think bigger?

Food

What under god's blue sky am I to feed the thing? I heard it can grow upwards of two meters but after reading around the only thing people seem to say for saltwater feeders is guppies and mollies (obviously no). I also read that feeding freshwater fish to salt ones is bad for the salt-water which in this case is the moray. So my question is, what would be a good feeder fish that can be raised in lets say a large salt-water habitat akin to a pond? . Secondly how much can it eat?

Fishing here is quite good though I mainly catch Bonefish roughly 30 centimetres long 80 if i'm really lucky but I don't see fishing as an absolutely dependable food source

Tankmates

So I understand that Moray's are at the top when it comes to the food chain so to make things short, what will a large moray NOT eat/attack is it like most other fish who don't mess with bigger fish?

General Questions

What should the tank also have? from what I can guess is a cave like structure since that's all I ever see them in on Youtube but is coral necessary?

How fast can I expect the eel to grow assuming I feed it the proper amount of food?

P.S If compounded questions like this are not allowed please forgive my ignorance

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
There are some true moray experts here so hopefully they will chime in. I'll say in my opinion that will be plenty of size and an awesome project. I wouldn't catch live food fishing because of the risk of contamination or disease myself. I would feed it thawed fish, squid and shrimps, but it may take a while to get it to take dead food. Tank mates will have to be big and able to hold there own, and with that size tank you could look at other large size predators to go with it. Welcome to the forum and hope to watch your project come together.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Welcome. I'll be following this thread myself. I will keep a large moray one day for sure. I think 1500 gallons will be a good tank. You can buy big frozen mackerel or herring or similar fish, I'm talking the size of your moray head or so, and feed him a big meal like that once a week or so from what I understand. At least when it gets bigger. Glue your rocks with some ABS for a little cave system. I would keep solo or with other moray. Feeding is apparently real interesting, they'll come out of the tank and snag the food out of your hand, you need a secure lid, and watch out for the bite, it's bad. I would say research the hell out of the species you may want to keep, because there's so many beauties to keep. Check any threads by Miguel or DB Junkie for reference.

I'm not a salt guy, I own a small freshwater moray but not a true monster, so this is just my understanding, hope I get corrected quick if I'm wrong.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Good luck on your project. I too will be following this closely. It is a myth that saltwater fish cannot be fed freshwater fish and vice versa!
Also, living in South east Asia, you should have Access to Selaroides leptolepis, a good and cheap food Source.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Iv kept morays for years in the past, but have zero experience on the giant moray, all i know is they get absolutly massive and have the stomach to match. Housing should be more of a concern than feeding. Personally id stick with "white fish" and toss in some squid or scallops now and then, my guys loved it. Its been a while since iv kept saltwater now, but have been dreaming of another moray tank in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store