Cheap tank set up

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
I know a lot of people on here have huge tanks, (or claim they do) but what's the cheapest and largest tank anyone's ever set up? I'm kinda bored today and not really a football fan. I decided to set up a free old 38 gallon in my basement today. Got a stand, tank, a small filter, and small heater. No gravel, no top, but have a small light, but it isn't long enough for the tank. I currently own a 90 g, and a 50 g. I may turn the 38 into a small feeder tank, or throw a few barbs in it, not sure yet. Hoping to spend maybe 50$ on total tank set up.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
If I was in your position I'd do the all male convict cichlid tank I seen on here recently, its something I'll definitely be doing at some point lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
You basically have the full setup already, but you can go to a home depot or your hardware store and purchase a small sheet of acrylic for a lid. Also a small light will be good. It will look like a spot light in your tank.

Sent from my SM-N910T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My dad used to breed fish for a living when I was a little kid. He had what amounted to a boneyard of 1980s/1990s aquarium supplies. When I was younger i used to grab up old crusty tanks, lids, lights, and heaters from his garage or basement.

I rescued a 3 tier 40 breeder rack from the backyard that just needed a quick spin with a wire wheel, some spray paint, and hardware.

In the past I've set up a 40breeders for what amounted to just the cost of adding a new HOB filter or canister. I'd buy the gravel from home Depot and get the large rocks from out in the woods

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
Yea, I have some nice pieces of shale in my back lawn. Unfortunately there's 6" of snow on top of em. I may dig em out though. What about wire mesh tops, like the kinds used for reptiles? I've thought of Just getting some, and cutting an area away for the filter and such? I know it may be kinda ugly but if just a small tank in the basement it probly won't matter that much

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
Convict 360, the problem with an all Convict tank is breeding! They'll eventually do it, and you'll be stuck with a million Cons! Even if all male, you'll eventually get bored and throw in a female!? Am I right?

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
The biggest tank I could set up is a 300 gallon that needs a corned resealed. For sale right now with stand for $250 with stand no accessories. Too wide to fit thru my hallway though.

I've set up a 125 for around $250 all together.
It all depends on how cheap I can get the tank.
Stand = cinder blocks with a 3/4" ply skin
Canisters = sunsun + Craig's list tank deal extra
Lights = led under cabinet from Wal-Mart
tops = home depot cut glass
canopy = free wood
Paint = free black from a friend
sand = Leslie's pool filter
decor = free from streams where I leave. I mainly do rocks & driftwood

I buy & sell multiple tank set ups to get one nice one all the time. 75s are by far the cheapest to do, because theyre more commericially available to the average person from pet store chains. 125s up get tricky because its harder to find a good deal on the tank.

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
Yea, I have some nice pieces of shale in my back lawn. Unfortunately there's 6" of snow on top of em. I may dig em out though. What about wire mesh tops, like the kinds used for reptiles? I've thought of Just getting some, and cutting an area away for the filter and such? I know it may be kinda ugly but if just a small tank in the basement it probly won't matter that much
It will allow a lot of evaporation & allow a ton of heat to escape. Id get glass cut somewhere of just buy a versa

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I forgot the 75g with stand, tops, lights and fluval 104 that I got for free from a family friend, because the tank leaked.

It had a cheapo metal stand that bowed in the center and caused the bottom seam to leak. $40 in 2x4's and some silicone and the thing was good as new.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
Thanx Reaper13. Never thought of the heat escape issue. My basement is about 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house. Tried to get a used top and light combo but LFS wasn't having it. May try Home Depot, see what I can come up with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store