molly not birthing

bordemstirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
California
Hi guys,
Everything I have read says a mollies gestation period is 28-30 days.
Well we bought as black molly around christmas, on new years eve we came home to molly fry. Unfortunately we just lost the last baby this week.
Anyway, a few weeks ago mama molly was looking pretty big, there is a huge white spot on her anal fin.
On Jan 28th I caught her and put her in a breeder box, its now Feb first and we haven't seen any fry.
Its been 32 days, is this normal? Since she is the only moly in the tank she is obviously using stored sperm, is it possible she waited to impregnate herself after the last batch?

If it matters she is in a brackish tank sg is 1.003-1.005 and the water stays 76-78f.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Mollys actually drop fry closer to every 6 weeks(depending on species). Guppys are true tropical fish and drop fry every 4 weeks. I would recommend not using breeder boxes, they are stressful and can lead to miscarriages, etc. Mollys do have the ability to store sperm and can also delay embryo development once fertilized.

bordemstirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
California
Its 78f.
I feel bad leaving her in a breeder box, but her tank mates include 3 African mudskippers, who will devour the fry in a second.

bordemstirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
California
She had all the signs of being about to birth, I'm hesitant to let her out because obviously I'm not very good at telling when she is ready...

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Mollys are a little hard to tell when they are gonna birth as they don't have a visible gravid spot, unless they are lightly colored or clear. Swollen stomachs can sometimes indicate illness or parasites. Really best to minimize stress and feed her a good algae based diet and hope for best. I would really stay away from breeder boxes.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store