Aros in a Pond?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello guys. Very soon I'm getting either a 180-500 gallon tank or a 800-1,400 gallon pond for my Fishroom. If I do decide to go with the pond, I'm contemplating whether to add an Aro or two as they're some of my favorite fish with their interesting personalities and large scales. I've heard very many cases of aros jumping out of tanks that aren't covered tightly enough yet I see many people keeping them quite successfully in ponds. Maybe it's a certain type of pond that gives people success with them or maybe I'm just paranoid. Anyway, the pond I'd be building would be between 8'x6'x2.5' and 8'x8'x3'. It'd be an indoor pond with temps being 74-76 F. The reason I worry about adding an Aro is that if one jumped out and landed on the ground next to the pond, there's not really any way it could just slide itself across the floor back in to the pond because the pond is raised up from the ground. I'd keep the water line 3-4" below the edge but I'm still concerned that I could lose one. Not sure if species has anything to do with jumping habits but I'd get either a leichardti, black, or silver (in that order of preference). What do you guys think, would it probably be fine or could I easily walk down and find a dead fish in the morning?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
They seem to settle over the years but initially it is very likely you will come home to a carpet surfing aro. I run bird netting over my ponds, kind of unsightly but cheap and effective.
I lost a baby last year, jumped thru the tiniest crack.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I was holding my big aros is a temporary holding pond I went to the hardware store and got plastic chicken wire and zip tied it to the top. Regular pond netting will not hold the jumping force of a big aro

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Top view on an Arowana is dull, its best in tank for side view. If you decided to go with a pond then I would say get some thing that look interest from the top like Gars species.

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
i had a silver arowana jump to its death from a raised pond, it was all dried up when i saw it:cry:.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store