Why can't I keep wolf fish alive?

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
I love wolf fish, I've spent over 400 in the last few years on erys but they just kill themselves every time. I just bought one the other day. Now it's face is all bashed up from jumping and I think I'm gonna lose this one too. I've added huge amounts of floating plants, lowered the water level but it still keeps happening. He is 3 inches long in a 40 breeder by itself. Temp is 76, parameters are 0, 0, 5ppm. Any thoughts, am I cursed?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
Have you tried putting some type of foam or bubble wrap under the lid?

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
That's actually a pretty good idea, I will try that right now

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Why is it jump in the first place? the form only temp solution so you will need to find the source that cause its freak out and want to jump.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Try changing your aquascape and give them more places to hide. Especially near the edges my wolves always loved sitting up against the glass instead of in the middle

Sent from my XT1254 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
See if u can dim ur tank lights. Room lights off. Floating plants help. It'll help and the advise by others. Erys are my fav and sorry to hear about ur luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
Try changing your aquascape and give them more places to hide. Especially near the edges my wolves always loved sitting up against the glass instead of in the middle

Sent from my XT1254 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Mine was the same. Only bashed for the first few days after I got it, then it settled in. My tank was pretty plant heavy at the time, and lights were somewhat dim. Lots of active tankmates, I don't know if that helped...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Do you feel any electric shock when you put your fingers in the tank? You can unplug one device at a time until he settles down. Then, replace the questionable device due to poor or failing shielding. Also check the top lip of your tank and the bottom lip of your light hood for calcifications (salt creep) that can be passing a voltage to the tank.

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
I have a lot of plants, floating and planted, several wood pieces and a round wooden tube thing for him. I did dim the lights today, just enough to barely see into the tank. There is no electric shock, I've had that happen from a heater in another tank though. The water level has been lowered 4 inches down from the glass top as well. So, I'm hoping he won't look any worse in the morning, because it seem like he is jumping at night. Every morning his face is more bashed up than the night before. It's so annoying, at the LFS he was swimming out in the open in a completely bare tank and was healthy, no jumping at all.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
This is not your first wolf and sound like all other wolfs had same problem in that tank, there must be something wrong in there either your setup landscaping, water or other tank mates (if you have any). Most of the wolfs I owned always hide for days, sometime more than a week but they never jump (day or night). Oh, don't turn off all the light at night some fishes freak out in totally darkness, use moon light or at least room night light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store