Do we really need to keep schooling fish in schools?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I know this seems like a novice question, but it has always been said that schooling fish must be kept with their own kind, but in the back of my mind, I've always wondered whether this long-held belief is actually valid, or if it is just one of those old conventions that we never strayed from. Especially when there are schooling species like pacu, dats, and flagtail prochilodus which are quite often kept singly in the hobby and seem to do just fine. For sure, many species just aren't as appealing when kept by themselves, and obviously they don't exhibit some of their natural behavior if they're kept alone, but I wonder if there is actually any real concern to the fish's health.

I can see how it is beneficial for reducing stress, especially when acclimating fish to a new aquarium, but whenever I've kept tetras or danios, I've noticed that once they're fully acclimated, they really don't display much schooling behavior, except when they feel threatened, and at night after the lights go off. Also, under various circumstances in the past, I've ended up in situations where I had just a single zebra danio, a single black neon, a single kuhli loach, etc., and it seems that they always adjust pretty well, regardless. So ultimately, what's the real harm?

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Do you have to? Absolutely not, though I would argue schooling fish will likely do better in groups, I think they likely feel safer and will act more natural. What's the harm you ask? Probably very little I'd guess stuffing them in a 3' x 10' box if they are lucky is probably way more detrimental than not putting them with some friends...lol

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
In my experience any schooling fish kept individually tended to just hover in a quiet area of the tank somewhere, and not come out. This was tiger barbs, neons etc; I think you'd be more likely to get away with it with bigger species of barbs etc like I think you were getting at in your original post.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
OP, you state Datnoids as schooling fish. I always thought they were solitary fish. Where did you get this information? Is it all Dats or just a certain species?

Sent from my car phone

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I know this seems like a novice question, but it has always been said that schooling fish must be kept with their own kind, but in the back of my mind, I've always wondered whether this long-held belief is actually valid, or if it is just one of those old conventions that we never strayed from. Especially when there are schooling species like pacu, dats, and flagtail prochilodus which are quite often kept singly in the hobby and seem to do just fine. For sure, many species just aren't as appealing when kept by themselves, and obviously they don't exhibit some of their natural behavior if they're kept alone, but I wonder if there is actually any real concern to the fish's health.

I can see how it is beneficial for reducing stress, especially when acclimating fish to a new aquarium, but whenever I've kept tetras or danios, I've noticed that once they're fully acclimated, they really don't display much schooling behavior, except when they feel threatened, and at night after the lights go off. Also, under various circumstances in the past, I've ended up in situations where I had just a single zebra danio, a single black neon, a single kuhli loach, etc., and it seems that they always adjust pretty well, regardless. So ultimately, what's the real harm?
Hello; I have highlighted a portion of your post. This is my experience as well. I have kept schooling species for over 50 years, many times winding up with a singleton. Those singletons have done well.
This topic has been discussed in other threads and with some strong opinions. On a different forum, I have seen posts suggesting that somehow the poster has special knowledge about an absolute minimum number of individuals that must be kept together. Numbers such as eight zebra danioes, four kuhli loaches and so on. I am not sure how such a determination can be made and have not seen problems when I have kept below the minimum they suggest.

As mentioned, schooling is a survival strategy. Open water apparently fish improve their chances with schooling behavior. In our tanks the fish are not in danger of predation. At least I do not mix predators and prey in my community tanks. My schooling species singletons seem relaxed and swim out and about.

I have made errors in the species mix and had a too aggressive, usually territorial type, in with other fish. This does result in individuals hiding in nooks and crannies if the tank is not big enough.

In my experience there is no real harm in keeping a singleton or small number of schooling fish. That said I do try to keep such fish in numbers as I like the look of a good number of small species. With enough time I do happen to wind up with singletons. Fish die off leaving lone survivors and I sometimes cannot locate replacements.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Do you have to? Absolutely not, though I would argue schooling fish will likely do better in groups, I think they likely feel safer and will act more natural. What's the harm you ask? Probably very little I'd guess stuffing them in a 3' x 10' box if they are lucky is probably way more detrimental than not putting them with some friends...lol
+1. I have a striving 4" roseline barb that's been groing out with 6"-8" paratheraps and it moves about the tank with little/no fear.......it'll get right into the middle of a feeding frenzy

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
OP, you state Datnoids as schooling fish. I always thought they were solitary fish. Where did you get this information? Is it all Dats or just a certain species?

Sent from my car phone
I'm actually not sure where I heard this. I could very well be mistaken.

Hello; I have highlighted a portion of your post. This is my experience as well. I have kept schooling species for over 50 years, many times winding up with a singleton. Those singletons have done well.
This topic has been discussed in other threads and with some strong opinions. On a different forum, I have seen posts suggesting that somehow the poster has special knowledge about an absolute minimum number of individuals that must be kept together. Numbers such as eight zebra danioes, four kuhli loaches and so on. I am not sure how such a determination can be made and have not seen problems when I have kept below the minimum they suggest.

As mentioned, schooling is a survival strategy. Open water apparently fish improve their chances with schooling behavior. In our tanks the fish are not in danger of predation. At least I do not mix predators and prey in my community tanks. My schooling species singletons seem relaxed and swim out and about.

I have made errors in the species mix and had a too aggressive, usually territorial type, in with other fish. This does result in individuals hiding in nooks and crannies if the tank is not big enough.

In my experience there is no real harm in keeping a singleton or small number of schooling fish. That said I do try to keep such fish in numbers as I like the look of a good number of small species. With enough time I do happen to wind up with singletons. Fish die off leaving lone survivors and I sometimes cannot locate replacements.
Agreed.

In my experience any schooling fish kept individually tended to just hover in a quiet area of the tank somewhere, and not come out. This was tiger barbs, neons etc; I think you'd be more likely to get away with it with bigger species of barbs etc like I think you were getting at in your original post.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah, I do think that larger fish are typically more likely to feel secure on their own, but I think that in the right environment, like skjl47 was saying, any fish can still thrive.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
It comes down to safety in numbers. If no predators they'll be fine by themselves. My group of 25 giant danios don't even school together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store