500 Gallon Journal Input Accepted

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
As some may know I posted recently about getting a tank and after some debate and input from the community I have decided to go with the 500 Gallon (96"x48"x24"). I wanted to start to post for those that are interested to just journal everything from top to bottom on the tank to include stand, canopy/shelf builds also. Before the question is asked, this is where I got the tank from those that are interested:

http://customaquariums.com/p-50-500-gallon-glass-aquarium-24h-x-96l-x-48d.aspx

Here is a list of the equipment that I have got for the tank already:

Eheim 2262
eheim.jpg

Fluval FX6
fx6.jpg

Rena XP3
rena.jpg

Aquaclear 110 X2-4
aquaclear.jpg

Koralia Wavemaker X2
koralia.jpg

Hydor 300 Watt In-Line Heater (hooked up on the XP3)
hydor.jpg

Jager 300 Watt Heater X2
jager.jpg

30 Watt Floodlight x2 RGB x1
flood.jpg

Universal Rocks 3D Background
backgroud.jpg

Have not decided on substrate yet, however it will probably be pool filter sand that I use in my other tanks. I really want UV on the tank also, however i'm trying to work it in without having to hook up another Canister or pump to the tank.

eheim.jpg

fx6.jpg

rena.jpg

aquaclear.jpg

koralia.jpg

hydor.jpg

jager.jpg

flood.jpg

backgroud.jpg

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
That's awesome. I don't have any knowledge on the eheim or experience. But why not go with a sump? Easy to make, cheaper and versatile. Just curious, not bashing ya.

Reactions: Rays starter

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Dude you could have done a real nice sump setup for less than half of what you spent on all those canisters and it will work way better than any canister filter would. Return all of it and find a beat up 125g and make a filter

Reactions: boldtogether

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
^ Yep. My buddy has an 8' shallow reef tank, and he used a beat up 240 for his sump. Paid $100 for it and does a great job. I used to use canisters, and I still use 2 fx5 (only b/c i had them) and a sump on a 180. But everything is out of the tank and looks so much nicer.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Sorry....but I'm not a sump person and do not like them at all. I've had several over the last 35+ years of the hobby and this is a dream tank for me and I wanted to go with what I like if that makes sense.

Sent from my XT1031 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: boldtogether

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
Sure..Just offering input, which you asked for. But, gotta go with what ya like. Your tank, right?
I like the sumps that company offers. Their aquarium prices looked pretty good to me. The stand and canopy prices seemed high.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Sure..Just offering input, which you asked for. But, gotta go with what ya like. Your tank, right?
I like the sumps that company offers. Their aquarium prices looked pretty good to me. The stand and canopy prices seemed high.
Was trying to come off wrong way (hard to do on net sometimes). I should've put that in my initial post about sumps. I know they are cheaper and I know all the pro's and con's of both. I just prefer the canister/hob combo....don't know why, just do lol. This is my project and going to do it right before water hits it and that will all start with stand.

Sent from my XT1031 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
No offense taken here. Excited to see it set up. I'm in no way an expert either.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
This will never work out...just send the tank to my house. Lol, sounds awesome can't wait to see pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store