Are Air Stones Necessary ?

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
So , today i purchased TWO Fluval FX 6 Canister filters for my 180 Gallon soon to be "discus , community tank". I really hate the look of an air stone , I am going for a biotope look and air stone kills the mood quicker then anything.

Can i get away with now having any in my tank ?

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
So as long as there is surface agitation with let say movement from one of the outtakes it shouldn't be an issue ? Worse Case I can hide the air stone behind my 3D Backround , I just don't want to risk my FX 6 sucking air bubbles into it as everything will be going behind the 3D back round.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've made a habit of hiding air stones behind csnister filter intakes, I zip tie them just above the strainer as they wont suck air into the filter. They are barely noticeable. Especially with smaller air stones.

Or you could modify an outlet so it agitates the surface and you get some gas exchage

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
So as long as there is surface agitation with let say movement from one of the outtakes it shouldn't be an issue ?
Correct. Supposedly, most of the actual oxygen exchange from an airstone is a result of the surface agitation that it causes, anyway, as opposed to direct diffusion from the bubbles, so you don't really need an air pump to achieve the same effect.

lmt6600

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
Nunya
I dont think its necessary as long as you have enough agitation, I myself use them as back up precaution, they are hooked up to a backup battery incase of power outage, I keep mainly plecos so its good to have backup.

Sent from my D5803 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I dont think its necessary as long as you have enough agitation, I myself use them as back up precaution, they are hooked up to a backup battery incase of power outage, I keep mainly plecos so its good to have backup.

Sent from my D5803 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Hello; I strongly agree. Bubblers have saved tanks for me many times over five decades. There was a time when the power filters were not reliable(some losing siphon every day or two) and an air stone, UGF or other bubbler kept a tank going for the hours I was at work or otherwise away.

Powered filters are much better now and less prone to failure. I do have a new and self imposed issue. I put my tanks on GFI outlets. From time to time something trips the GFI and I find my tanks dark and without running power filters. I have an air pump in the basement on a different circuit with a long hose to deliver bubbles to all tanks. The air pump continues to work when the GFI trips.

I guess air pumps are not actually nesessary. I did run a few tanks without bubblers for a while, but no longer. I do not run tanks without bubblers any more.

good luck

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Personally, I just enjoy seeing all the air bubbles.........and it has the purpose of keeping the tank O2 rich makes it an added bonus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store