Filteration on 125

OscarJ125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
New York
Hey Everyone. I recently got a 125 for Christmas. Upgraded from a 55. Currently the 125 houses 1- 7.5 inch Albino Oscar 1- 10.5 inch Red Tiger Oscar, 1 5 inch Jack Dempsey, 2-4 inch red Hooks, and a 7 inch Pleco. I have running on there 1 AC110, 1 Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75 and 1 Ac70.. I orignally wanted the AC110. My girlfriend kinda talked me out of it because of the cost (picky woman / mistake of filter choice:irked:). Well here I am now with a cloudy tank:)cry:- the cry of somone who has never had a cloudy tank) which I knew was gonig to happen lol- this is no 55 gallon tank anymore. My question is, what is everyones experience with the canister Xp3's or canister in general? I'm usually a HOB filter guy but with a 125 now I'm curious to explore options. I thought about purchasing the Xp3 in replacement to the Quiet Flow because not necessarily is the Quiet Flow a horrible filter, It's just not the filter that two Oscars need on a huge tank. So my three choices were the Xp3, another Ac 110, or I'm gonna go all out and just buy an Fx6... All opinions are much appreciated. Thank you all! :)

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Hey Everyone. I recently got a 125 for Christmas. Upgraded from a 55. Currently the 125 houses 1- 7.5 inch Albino Oscar 1- 10.5 inch Red Tiger Oscar, 1 5 inch Jack Dempsey, 2-4 inch red Hooks, and a 7 inch Pleco. I have running on there 1 AC110, 1 Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75 and 1 Ac70.. I orignally wanted the AC110. My girlfriend kinda talked me out of it because of the cost (picky woman / mistake of filter choice:irked:). Well here I am now with a cloudy tank:)cry:- the cry of somone who has never had a cloudy tank) which I knew was gonig to happen lol- this is no 55 gallon tank anymore. My question is, what is everyones experience with the canister Xp3's or canister in general? I'm usually a HOB filter guy but with a 125 now I'm curious to explore options. I thought about purchasing the Xp3 in replacement to the Quiet Flow because not necessarily is the Quiet Flow a horrible filter, It's just not the filter that two Oscars need on a huge tank. So my three choices were the Xp3, another Ac 110, or I'm gonna go all out and just buy an Fx6... All opinions are much appreciated. Thank you all! :)
I have a Rena filstar (old versions of the xp) and mine leaks occasionally. Not saying that they all do, could just be mine. But I'm running that and a sunsun 304b on my 150 with lots of messy fish (3 bichirs, 2 gar, clown knife and featherfin cat) and my parameters are awesome. I would recommend a 304b along with your HOBs. The sunsun is $70 shipped on eBay and Amazon. Half the price of the xp and a fraction of the fx6. This is just my opinion. The sunsun also comes with media and a built in UV sterilizer. I love it, and it's also very easy maintenance and priming.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

OscarJ125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
New York
I always loved the concept of the built in Uv sterilizer. It's just a nice extra feature to have. Thanks for the options! I'm going to look into that aswell!

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
That's what I use if I have to buy them straight up. Sunsun & odyssea cfs500/cfs700. They work great except you have to do a few simple mods to the odyssea. Sunsun yo have to triple check the trays are llined up good, but its easy once you get used to it.

Xp's are my favorite, but not enough to spenf the extra $

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I'm running that and a sunsun 304b on my 150 with lots of messy fish (3 bichirs, 2 gar, clown knife and featherfin cat) and my parameters are awesome. I would recommend a 304b along with your HOBs. The sunsun is $70 shipped on eBay and Amazon. Half the price of the xp and a fraction of the fx6. This is just my opinion. The sunsun also comes with media and a built in UV sterilizer. I love it, and it's also very easy maintenance and priming.
That's what I use if I have to buy them straight up. Sunsun & odyssea cfs500/cfs700. They work great except you have to do a few simple mods to the odyssea. Sunsun yo have to triple check the trays are llined up good, but its easy once you get used to it.

Xp's are my favorite, but not enough to spenf the extra $
Agree. Can't beat the Susuns or Odysseas if you're on a tight budget and need high capacity filtration

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
I've never owned one but from pictures and seeing some in lfs, I've seen a decent amount of them being placed in a big bowl because they were leaking a tiny bit. I'm assuming they would just dump the water in the bowl that leaked every so often and then place it back in

I may be a bit biased but I'm running two eheim 2217's and one 2213. Sure they're a bit pricey but I found some used at a great price and my water quality has been just about perfect, even in a heavily stocked 135g SA/CA community tank. They're also dead silent which is great

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've never owned one but from pictures and seeing some in lfs, I've seen a decent amount of them being placed in a big bowl because they were leaking a tiny bit. I'm assuming they would just dump the water in the bowl that leaked every so often and then place it back in

I may be a bit biased but I'm running two eheim 2217's and one 2213. Sure they're a bit pricey but I found some used at a great price and my water quality has been just about perfect, even in a heavily stocked 135g SA/CA community tank. They're also dead silent which is great
Between the 2 brands, I own 5 of these canisters for about a year and a half now, no leaks. My buddy in town owns 5 Sunsuns of varying sizes, no leaks. If O-rings are lubed and intact, there shouldn't be any leakages, just like all other canisters on the market

OscarJ125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
New York
I've actually owned Eheim in the past. I wasn't really happy with the flow rate but i'll look into those filters again aswell. It's tough lol. Alot of good filters out there. Part of me wants the fx6 sooo badd but I feel like I could get somthing cheaper and work just as good. I might even say the heck with it and just get another ac110 lol. They have never failed me in the past! I love all the input though. it's making my decision a very interesting one :)

OscarJ125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
New York
Between the 2 brands, I own 5 of these canisters for about a year and a half now, no leaks. My buddy in town owns 5 Sunsuns of varying sizes, no leaks. If O-rings are lubed and intact, there shouldn't be any leakages, just like all other canisters on the market
Are you happy with the flow rate?

Ryan_R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Athens, OH USA
Flow rate isn't everything. Filtration is about filtration. If flow isn't enough, add a powerhead.

I love my Filstar's. I have one Rena and 3 API's. No leaks. Replacement parts are cheap. Tons of room for media.

-Ryan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store