Neat little filter I made for switching to a new and barebottom tank.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Im in the process of moving my oscar to a brandnew 75g and I want to go bare bottom this time around.

Im worried about losing all the beneficial bacteria in the gravel. So I made a small filter to put inside the tank that'll hold a few pounds of gravel, and hopefully help me avoid a cycle crash. There's also a seasoned 406 and 2 whisper 60s making the move.

uploadfromtaptalk1422899820967.jpg
I have 2 different sized tubs I can use.

uploadfromtaptalk1422899854976.jpg
185 gph pump. It draws water through the little holes on the bottom of the tub and sprays filtered water out of the top

Itll just sit in the bottom of the tank. I could always reuse this as a temporary filter if a canister decides to stop working. Its ugly, but I think it could be really effective with some biomax or scrubbies in there

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
That looks good,your gonna run it with the lid on right? or the oscar would pull all the media out....u will have lots of options for media.i guess u could use just course sponge....i like pond matrix

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah, the pump is attached to the lid, I'm not planning on using it long term because it's large and ugly, but im hesitant to go bare bottom right off the bat, I'm probably just going to put a few pounds of gravel from the old tank in it

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Cool. I'm about to go bare bottom also in a 75. I'm gonna see how effective I can make a sponge filter
work to suck up debris, be nice if could easily rinse it out during WCs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store