Need some advices concerning tanks racking.

Geryi

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
France
Hi,

As said in my presentation, I need some help / advices concerning the conception of tanks racks.
I want to put all my tanks in a little 13'x9' room. 2 big tanks are already placed : a 250g and a 200g.
I want to introduce 9 other tanks (3 90g, 3 75g, 3 60g) that are in others rooms of my house. The only solution is to rack them by size.
You think it's better to use boltless shelving or to build wood rack? Because of limited space I can only set up one 4'(l)x2'(w) rack and two 5'x2' an if I built them, I can't use big boards... Is it possible with 1,5"x4" or 2"x2,5" pinewood? I'm looking for the better balance between solidity and compactness. The system used by Uarujoey for large aquariums seems to be good but it needs a lot of space (length and width) due to its conception... I'm afraid of using industrial shelving because tanks are only resting on the edges of the structures.

Thanks for your answers and excuse my bad English...:(

Bye.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
For compactness you cant beat metal racking. Ive got some 3 tier 40 breeder racks, they are supported by only the hardware. I used grade 8 bolts which have a shear strength of close to 100,000lbs (equivelent to metric grade 10.9 or 12 I think) they disassemble nice and are easy to transport and assemble in tighter spaces

You shouldn't have an issue supporting just the edges of the tanks if they are rimmed glass tanks. Rimless or acrylic tanks are a different story.

Hope this helps?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Geryi

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
France
Hi,

Thanks for your answer. It helps :)
My problem is that my tanks haven't the same width or length, so I have to use boards on the metal hardware to support them. I'm not sure that the boards with support the tanks without any backup-plate under them... The thanks will be in the center without be supported directly by the metal structure.

What do you think about this kind of rack for 60g tanks? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut...y-/370815167819?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
It says 350kg per shelf, hard to say without looking at it in person. I'd be afraid it would sag, but it might be.ok

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Geryi

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
France
Thanks for your answer.
Yes, it would probably sag...
But I just have 7' height in the room, and I can't find an industrial shelving less than 5' in length, with backup plates and much than 400kg per shelf.

Geryi

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
France
Hi,

On reflection, I think I'm going to build the 3 racks with pine or spruce.
I can't find 2"x4", only 2"x6" or 2,5"x3"... 2x6 is to big. Is it possible to build sturdy racks with 2,5"x3" rafters?
I see some examples in the DIY stands section but always with 2x4 or 2x5...
What model do you think the best?

Best regards.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Hi,

On reflection, I think I'm going to build the 3 racks with pine or spruce.
I can't find 2"x4", only 2"x6" or 2,5"x3"... 2x6 is to big. Is it possible to build sturdy racks with 2,5"x3" rafters?
I see some examples in the DIY stands section but always with 2x4 or 2x5...
What model do you think the best?

Best regards.
A lot depends on your design.
Note that in America, they say 2 x 4.. but the wood itself is actually 1.5" x 3.5"
If your wood is actually 2.5" x 3" (real measurements), it will probably be ok, if you are only going to span the width of one tank.

I do think that a wood rack is better than than the inexpensive metal racks.

Geryi

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
France
Hi paulW,

Thanks for your answer.
I'm going to copy one of the designs I've seen in the DIY stands section, but I can't decide which one...
Yes, my wood is really 2,5"x3" (63mmx75mm). I want to build 2' width racks to put 1', 1,5' and 2' width tanks (one tank per shelf).

I agree with you concerning inexpensive metal racks.

Bye.

Geryi

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
France
Hi,

I'll try to build my racks with this design : rack.jpgand 2' width.

But I'll use 3x4 pine rafters. My tanks don't have all the same width. Do you think that it's risky to place a 60-80g tank in the center of the shelfs (on a 1" plywood board) ?

Best regards.

rack.jpg

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Hi,

I'll try to build my racks with this design : View attachment 1057872and 2' width.

But I'll use 3x4 pine rafters. My tanks don't have all the same width. Do you think that it's risky to place a 60-80g tank in the center of the shelfs (on a 1" plywood board) ?

Best regards.
That should be fine. I have 75 gallon on stands less overbuilt than that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store