Red Tail Catfish pricing?

Lindsay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
illinois
My LFS has had a RTC nearing 2ft.
They say people have bought it several times but return it after awhile when they find out how big it grows.
They have the poor thing in a small long tank barely twice its length.. I visit it everytime i stop by there and it barely has room to move and has been there for a year+.

They have it prices at $150, is this overpriced for that size? I'm buying a 540g soon and really want to save him. (Upgrading to 1000+g in the next couple years of course)

Any thoughts?¿

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I'm not sure about where you are but our local ads are usually full of 2ft rtc's going very cheap if not free , if I was you I'd either search ads for a free one or explain to the LFS your plan for a big tank and see what his best price would be to save the poor things life , you never know they could surprise you with a decent price but I would never pay $150 for one more like $50 Max

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
1,000 gallons isn't enough for life.
And the fish is overpriced.
Let it stay at the Lfs and be an example of why not to purchase baby's.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Sometime a LFS will overprice a fish to discourage the casual buyer from buying it. If a serious buyer shows some interest the LFS will cut the price for them.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
You need a friggin pond for a red tail catfish they get huge.
There is always this problem :banghead: they are beasts

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
If they care about the fish's well being they will give it to you for free.

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Exactly,lindsay if you want a catfish get an upside down catfish or if you want something bigger a giraffe catfish just get something you can accommodate.Do it for the fish

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If they care about the fish's well being they will give it to you for free.
Doesn't seem to be the case since he keeps selling it everytime someone brings it back.

Lindsay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
illinois
I know, i just meant i plan on ultimately owning something in the 9999 number range 😁 i'm aware of these sizes.

Honestly i think this LFS is only in it for money .. I asked them about the rtc a couple monthes prior and they said the price is firm... Also i was interested in a huge Emperor Cichlid they had / still have and asked how many gallons i needed for him and one lady said atleast a 220g, then the other man said my 75g would be ok ... 😂 sounds like they only wanted my money, also bought a Gymno-thorax Tile from them saying it was pure freshwater , its rightfully in my brackish tank now and back to eating like it SHOULD.

Well dang i was hoping i could save the rtc :/ they also have a similar size Achara / Marbled cat too in a small tank. 😞

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store