CO2 set up

swanleyjon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2012
Kent
Anyone know how to put together a CO2 unit for planted aquariums using a fire extinguisher,solenoid etc ?

any advice welcome,do not have the confidence to try it just yet.

Jon

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Where did you get the fire extinguisher idea from? I've never heard of that done before. You need a CO2 tank and a regulator. Many pre built regulators have the solenoid attached already.

I'm just getting my planted tank set up and dialed in, so I recently bought most of my parts. At the moment I have a 20 lbs CO2 tank, an Aquatek premium regulator (has built in solenoid) and a bubble counter. Also you will need a way to add the CO2 to the water, I built a reactor, though there are several items you can buy to do it for you, though they are typically more expensive and dont work as well.

That give you a good idea how to start?

born2lovefish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Indianapolis
Anyone know how to put together a CO2 unit for planted aquariums using a fire extinguisher,solenoid etc ?

any advice welcome,do not have the confidence to try it just yet.

Jon
Jon,

I have heard of using a fire extinguisher and knew a guy that did use a co2 type one for his planted tank. Personally, I would just stick with a standard co2 tank. Google, "hisangelfish" and click on the first link that comes up. Should take you to a home page and there should be a DIY Projects page at the top. Click on it and it will show you how to put a co2 regulator together with a parts list with links. Should help you out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store