Screws in Terrarium

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Hey all, long time no post. So I recently finished the new enclosure for my Chinese Water Dragon. The enclosure is made of primarily plywood and 2x2's and I've sealed the inside and have done a DIY background (the enclosure is 60"T x 48"L x 24"W). I'm looking for a good way to hang plants and other things in the terrarium and was thinking I could get some short screws and just screw them into the background leaving them handing out a 1/4" or 1/8" and hang things off of them. What type of screws would I need to use for this to be safe? Just stainless steel screws? Bear in mind that the humidity will be fairly high so it has to be something that won't rust. Or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
stainless 100%. If it were me I'd also probably either silicone or varnish over them once they are in. You'd be fine just using stainless screws though.

Kill two birds with one stone and get deck screws, pretty sure they are weatherproofed.

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
stainless 100%. If it were me I'd also probably either silicone or varnish over them once they are in. You'd be fine just using stainless screws though.

Kill two birds with one stone and get deck screws, pretty sure they are weatherproofed.
Thanks very much for the help! I will post pictures when it's all said and done.

nice build. looks like you are off to a good start
Thanks for the comments. Still a lot of work left to do but the main components are completed!

RadioctiveRisk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Wa
Awesome build! I agree with predatorkeeper87, Get some aquarium safe silicon (no anti fungal or other chemical additives) and smear just enough on to cover the metal and the small area around the screw. Also consider how heavy the plants when watered will be (I once had a large planted hanging basket rip a metal hook and screw out of the underside of a deck :p ) when hanging things. Good luck with you build!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store