Typical new member post

HBCichlidGuy

Gambusia
Feb 4, 2015
CA
Well my name is Shane and I'm located in USA, I'm very new to the fish scene (at least keeping them as pets, plenty of experience fighting them in the wild ;P lol) but have been doing lots of research about fish and aquariums in my spare time. Looking forward to starting my first monster fish tank and would love any advice anyone has for a new aquarist like me! :)

Littlefishjoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Central Illinois
Hello, if your new and a avid fisherman then I would suggest researching some fish that you like catching. ( im a huge cat-fishing fanatic, so I have a "cat" tank).... Read up on "cycling an aquarium" and dont rush in, this hobby can be pricy up front but is worth it in the end.

So research, research, research... and check out youtube for how to properly setup an aquarium.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Welcome to MFK!

HBCichlidGuy

Gambusia
Feb 4, 2015
CA
Hello, if your new and a avid fisherman then I would suggest researching some fish that you like catching. ( im a huge cat-fishing fanatic, so I have a "cat" tank).... Read up on "cycling an aquarium" and dont rush in, this hobby can be pricy up front but is worth it in the end.

So research, research, research... and check out youtube for how to properly setup an aquarium.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Ugh thats seriously a dream for me! Unfortunately, I seem to be able to only catch trout when it comes to freshwater, but it would be kinda cool to have a few in my tank lol (if i could keep them alive that long, without eating them myself LOL) I do much better when you add a little salt:grinyes: I'm pretty sure I have cycling a tank and setting up an aquarium down, only cause I have a crawfish currently in an approx. 14gal tank (this is my very first aquatic pet:headbang2) and since Ive gotten him (maybe a month?) hes molted twice and almost quadrupled in size (trying not brag, but hey, im a beginner and I cant say Im not a little proud LOL) Or it could just be im feeding him hikari carnivore pellets (filet mignon of the artificial food from what I understand.... ONLY THE BEST FOR MY BOY :,) ) But Ive done some waterchanges and siphoned his substrate and him seems to be a happy little camper. I also treat the water with a tetra solution I cant remember off the top of my head when I change the water. And Yes, youtube can be a great resource for quality instructional videos! Thanks for welcoming me and the advice! :)

HBCichlidGuy

Gambusia
Feb 4, 2015
CA
welcome to mfk and the hobby! be careful with the chemicals you put in as inverts are more vulnerable to them.
Oh okay! Ill look into what I'm putting in is okay for him, its called tetra aquasafe plus :$. Its what was just recommended to me when buying him. Thanks for the welcoming and advice also!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store