Breeding Freshwater Crayfish

Pschorr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
USA
I'm interested in breeding freshwater crayfish since they look like large shrimp and small lobsters. However, I know nothing about them. Any advice on where to start? I've bred red cherry shrimp successfully but I know that those are super easy to breed. Are there any similarities between the two?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I love your reason why to breed them lol. I have no idea personally, but am interested in seeing what the experts advise

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I'm no expert but I have bred red crayfish(Clarkii). They're pretty easy, very similar to cherry shrimp. They are just more aggressive, once a berried female drops craylets; they need to be separated. Betta jars works for this purpose.

Pschorr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
USA
Update: I just ordered 10 marbled crayfish on aquabid for super cheap ($1 per crayfish and shipping was $13). These crayfish reproduce by "cloning" themselves. I have a very shallow understanding of how they reproduce. They're all female and the eggs they produce are somehow self-fertilized. They hold the eggs for 1-2 months and then they lay the eggs. It seems like they're super easy to care for. I'll post updates when I get the crayfish in the mail. Hopefully within two days!

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
keep us updated, I would like to know more about marbled crays. I want to know if 1 cray turns into 50 in 6 months. Or does it require 2 or more "females"? what causes them to suddenly reproduce? etc. keep us updated.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
keep us updated, I would like to know more about marbled crays. I want to know if 1 cray turns into 50 in 6 months. Or does it require 2 or more "females"? what causes them to suddenly reproduce? etc. keep us updated.
Marbled cray turn one single female into hundreds of clones. They do in fact clone themselves without the need for a mate.

Easiest cray I've had. Drop them in a tank and feed them. They'll do the rest.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
what seems to be the catalyst for their reproduction?
Same as any other organism. Clean and healthy environment, plenty of food, and the natural desire to continue the species.

RebelRiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm hoping to get some great advice from this page as I'm currently working on breeding P. clarkii.

I'm no expert but I have bred red crayfish(Clarkii). They're pretty easy, very similar to cherry shrimp. They are just more aggressive, once a berried female drops craylets; they need to be separated. Betta jars works for this purpose.
What would you recommend to someone new to breeding crayfish? I'm still having some issues with keeping water parameters in check but not sure what to do afterwards.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store