12" BUMBLEBEE GROUPER

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Just wanted to share my Bumblebee Grouper that I've had for about a year now. I got it from Wes @ Rare Fish. It eats anything (likes Hikari Massivore Pellets best!), but doesn't really care for live fish. Tame as a dog. One of the most intelligent fish I've ever owned and still extremely colorful. Thanks.IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
My grouper isn't in brackish water, but I didn't know what category to put it in. Normally I use 1/2 of a box of Instant Ocean salt that is the size to make 10 gallons of saltwater. It's probably 1-2 tbsp of salt per 5 gallons. I have an Alligator Gar in with the BB Grouper for a tankmate. IMAG0522.jpg

IMAG0522.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Very nice fish, I'd keep it in full marine though. I don't know why so many people keep Queensland Groupers in full freshwater and expect them to live to reach their 6' adult potential. There's two massive 5' and 6' ones at the Pittsburgh aquarium and those things have to be 300-400 pounds!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Beautiful!
Divemaster - are those ones in salt or fresh ?
Full salt, aquarists there said they do terrible in FW and they don't know where people got the idea that you can keep groupers in FW.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I may have entirely missed the point of those links but to me that felt a whole lot like he just really doesn't care about his fish.
Idk if you've been around here long but this is wes wongs blog... One of the best vendors HERE (I think he's the best)... A Very credible fish keeper many hardcore members here can also agree, he's been keeping fish longer than I've been alive.... To say that he doesn't care about his fish is probably the most interesting thing I've heard today....
I guess my point is don't say something like: "idk where aquarists get the idea they can keep these fish in freshwater etc" especially when a pioneer in rare fish and fish keeping has done otherwise. I just proved divemaster wrong in the last link if you even looked at it... That grouper was caught in the Rio Suriname alongside peacock bass... If you know anything about it the Rio Suriname is a very acidic and soft water River with some black water tributaries although some parts of the main channel appear to be clear water (still very very acidic)... Just a thought.... Hopefully wes can chime in on this thread. This topic has been covered before. Recently I saw a video on YouTube where in a aquarium in Korea, sw fish were kept in fw and vice versa. There were armatus payara swimming with marine fish. Was really cool they even had some feeding time and the fish ate with much gusto... Just another thought...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Idk if you've been around here long but this is wes wongs blog... One of the best vendors HERE (ink he's the best)... A Very credible fish keeper many hardcore members here can also agree, he's been keeping fish longer than I've been alive.... To say that he doesn't care about his fish is probably the most interesting thing I've heard today....
I guess my point is don't say something like: "idk where aquarists get the idea they can keep these fish in freshwater etc" especially when a pioneer in rare fish and fish keeping has done otherwise. I just proved divemaster wrong in the last link if you even looked at it... That grouper was caught in the Rio Suriname alongside peacock bass... If you know anything about it the Rio Suriname is a very acidic and soft water River with some black water tributaries... Just a thought.... Hopefully wes can chime in on this thread. This topic has been covered before. Recently I saw a video on YouTube where in a aquarium in Korea, sw fish were kept in fw and vice versa. There were armatus payara swimming with marine fish. Was really cool they even had some feeding time and the fish are with much gusto... Just another thought...

Just going to chime in one last time here as I'm not a fan of pointless arguments. But I personally trust my local aquarists, people that I've known well for years, more than people here. No offense to any experts here, I just haven't known anyone here long enough yet since I've only been a member for just over a year. Maybe they are content in FW, and maybe not, we're not the fish. If you caught a (healthy) specimen in FW then go ahead and keep it and acclimate it to your FW tank. But if you catch one of the thousands of them that reside in their natural range (SW) then what reason have you to try to change its environment. Just because we're humans doesn't mean we can do whatever we want with other organisms and think that we're always right. I have no problem with people keep them in water that's brackish or a higher salinity though. I'm done, sorry for derailing your thread Zach, beautiful specimen once again and I hope it grows large and healthy for you.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Just going to chime in one last time here as I'm not a fan of pointless arguments. But I personally trust my local aquarists, people that I've known well for years, more than people here. No offense to any experts here, I just haven't known anyone here long enough yet since I've only been a member for just over a year. Maybe they are content in FW, and maybe not, we're not the fish. If you caught a (healthy) specimen in FW then go ahead and keep it and acclimate it to your FW tank. But if you catch one of the thousands of them that reside in their natural range (SW) then what reason have you to try to change its environment. Just because we're humans doesn't mean we can do whatever we want with other organisms and think that we're always right. I have no problem with people keep them in water that's brackish or a higher salinity though. I'm done, sorry for derailing your thread Zach, beautiful specimen once again and I hope it grows large and healthy for you.
Yep not a fan of pointless arguments. One last thing though just in case anyone didn't know: These are captive bred destined for the food table...
Zeke I hope this guy grows nice and does well in your hands. You got a pm coming your way too ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store