Appropriate Silcone Caulk for sealing a tank.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Hey all. I will be attempting my first ever reseal of a tank coming up and I wanted to check to see if my caulk would be safe. I did research online on it and it seemed to be ok, but I wanted to check with the forum as well. It's GE clear all purpose 100% silicone. I doesn't appear to be the mold resistant type.

It would be the type in the link below:

http://reviews.truevalue.com/9048/4...pose-caulk-bronze-10-1-oz-reviews/reviews.htm

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
GE I or II doesn't matter. Silicone is inert once fully cured. Assuming you are giving it 10-14 days as you should to fully cure it wont leach anything into the water. That said, I'm sure several people are going to argue this point which really doesn't matter.

What matters is you shouldn't be using GE I or II for building or resealing a tank. Once again, many people will argue that it is ok to use, however if they look into the msds for them they will find that there is no strength at all with GE I or II, so low that the strength is not even listed. Both are sealants, not adhesives. You want to use the Momentive RTV 103 or 108, 103 is black, 108 is clear. This series is an industrial grade adhesive used by the majority of major tank manufactures.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Wow much is that jsodwi? I've never heard of it before and was curious what it runs. I do completely agree though, why cheap out when the silicone is working to prevent thousands in damages? The silicone I mentioned runs about $13 a tube, not cheap, but a hell of a lot cheaper than having a tank burst.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Mold inhibitors aren't fish safe. Do you use mold inhibitors on your reseals Xraycer?
Yes, I know that brah. My only point is that supposedly GE I doesn't have mold inhibitors while GE II does. So, point being, that because a package is labeled 100% silicone doesn't mean that is all that it contains. Whether mold inhibitor in silione is harmless or not is for another speculative debate. Aloha

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
GE I or II doesn't matter. Silicone is inert once fully cured. Assuming you are giving it 10-14 days as you should to fully cure it wont leach anything into the water. That said, I'm sure several people are going to argue this point which really doesn't matter.

What matters is you shouldn't be using GE I or II for building or resealing a tank. Once again, many people will argue that it is ok to use, however if they look into the msds for them they will find that there is no strength at all with GE I or II, so low that the strength is not even listed. Both are sealants, not adhesives. You want to use the Momentive RTV 103 or 108, 103 is black, 108 is clear. This series is an industrial grade adhesive used by the majority of major tank manufactures.
Wow much is that jsodwi? I've never heard of it before and was curious what it runs. I do completely agree though, why cheap out when the silicone is working to prevent thousands in damages? The silicone I mentioned runs about $13 a tube, not cheap, but a hell of a lot cheaper than having a tank burst.
Back for round 2 of "Your Tank Will Burst If You Use GE Silicone" rant? LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store