Danio Tinwini?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Well...they're not exactly monster fish, but does anybody have any info at all on how to breed these little guys? Original post from my TPT thread...

So I just realized that out of a group of 6 Danio tinwini that I bought 3 months ago, out of the remaining 3, I have 2 males and one female. I think. The two skinny ones were circling each other, and nipping at each other, and flaring their fins. The other big one, is just...swimming there. They're in a slightly planted tank filtered with a sponge filter, that has sporadic water changes with RO/DI water reconstituted to pH 7.0, alkalinity at 3.9 meq/l, and gH at .5 meq/l with 5 gallon water changes. Tankmates include corydoras pygmaeus, a middling population of cherry shrimp, a ton of bladder snails, and a fair amount of MTS. There is a piece of rosewood in there, and an indian almond leaf is added every time the old one gets eaten by the shrimp. Feeding consists of Hikari micropellets and Hikari Shrimp Bites, supplemented with live blackworms and BBS when I can get them; I'm assuming that they're also grazing off of baby cherry shrimp when available. So here's what I've got:

Feeding: I've got daphnia, mysis, adult brine, and some Rod's fish only blend in the freezer. Are any of these good for the fish for conditioning? Will pureed squid help the female plump up on eggs like with saltwater fish?

Breeding: How? This will be my first cyprinid to breed on purpose (White clouds in a tub in summer don't count). Do fry eat BBS? Or do I need to start a culture of rotifers and phytoplankton? Do I need to worry about shock? What's the best tank to raise larvae/fry in, a 2.5, 10, or 20 gallon tank?

I'm using a bit of saltwater breeding lingo here, because that's frankly the type of breeding I'm most educated on

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Nobody?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Nobody at all?

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Those of us that are keeping the more non lethal fish are in a minority here. That does`nt change the fact this is the best forum for fish keeping on the web and sometimes you have to wait for the right person to respond. I am not that person is this case but I know a little about danios,so instead of me trying to spell it out you are better off going here:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/brachydanio-tinwini/

I would get some green water ready for the fry, I used to spawn rainbow and I used dried egg yolk dust and spiralina powder. If you have ever seen a rainbow fry, well since you are familiar with some marine fish you get the idea. Very tiny. Danios can be on the small side too.

The adult brine is good for conditioning, though danios are very prolific anyway and don`t need much encouragement.

Good luck and don`t hesitate to report back, there are a few of us that would like to see more posts a wider variety of species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store