My current aquarium!

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
In mid 2014, the last fish one could consider "aggressive" or "monstrous" passed away. In August 2014, I began down a path of a tropical community aquarium, with an eventual goal of turning my 55 gallon into a planted, or mostly planted community aquarium. From August to a few weeks ago, I only had 4 angelfish scalare, and 3 corydoras melini in my aquarium. Over the past month, I have introduced several different species, and my current stock is:

4 Angelfish scalare
3 Corydoras melini
3 Corydoras panda
6 Marble Hatchetfish
9 Black Neon Tetras
1 Male Dumbo Betta
1 Female Betta

Here are a few pictures! Tell me what you think.
453.JPG
455.JPG
456.JPG
460.JPG
482.JPG

453.JPG

455.JPG

456.JPG

460.JPG

482.JPG

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
TBH its look empty :D need more plants or more shoaling species, good start overall.

If you decide to go with planted tank then you would consider to use darker substrate like black sand. It will boost deeper coloration look on both fishes and plants

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
TBH its look empty :D need more plants or more shoaling species, good start overall.

If you decide to go with planted tank then you would consider to use darker substrate like black sand. It will boost deeper coloration look on both fishes and plants
It does look empty! I'm just waiting for the three lily bulbs that I bought about a week ago (ayyeee) to bloom. What plants would you add to it? And, I have thought about a darker substrate, though I'm not certain I want black.

I'm just concerned about over stocking the tank in complete honesty.

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
really nice looking setup so far! love the d.w. it has a lot of character. if you are going to leave the substrate partialy planted add some floating plants in there for the hatchetfish. what kind of lily is that?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I think either green or red tiger lotus, I saw some runner but i'm not sure any of them reached the surface yet. It will take a while even after the runner reached the surface for the plant produce a flower.

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
really nice looking setup so far! love the d.w. it has a lot of character. if you are going to leave the substrate partialy planted add some floating plants in there for the hatchetfish. what kind of lily is that?
Thank you, that particular piece of driftwood, I have had since the spring of 2010. I have always loved how it looks! The lily is a "red lily" I believe? I know I bought it from PetSmart in the Top Fin lily pack that we have. Before I cut the existing lily plants I have down, they nearly took over half of my aquarium, so hopefully when the new ones sprout and grow the hatchetfish will feel more than at home.

I think either green or red tiger lotus, I saw some runner but i'm not sure any of them reached the surface yet. It will take a while even after the runner reached the surface for the plant produce a flower.
Now that is a beautiful plant! I was thinking about a few ribbon plants, or some banana plants if I can find them.

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
i have never had luck with growing water lilies from bulb packages. maybe the ones around here are too old??? let us know how that turns out. i bought a couple banana plants about 6 months ago, i think they are awesome. they did really well until my snails ate them down to pretty much nothing; nothing left but the "bananas". they are coming back to life so they got to be pretty resilient

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
i have never had luck with growing water lilies from bulb packages. maybe the ones around here are too old??? let us know how that turns out. i bought a couple banana plants about 6 months ago, i think they are awesome. they did really well until my snails ate them down to pretty much nothing; nothing left but the "bananas". they are coming back to life so they got to be pretty resilient
Most of the time folks getting dead bulb cause there is no way to tell if the bulb is a live or a dead one by visual appearance, also depend on your tank temp it might take 2 or 3 weeks for a bulb start spout out and depart from there, I ordered some red lotus bulb before and took nearly 3 weeks for it to spout out some tiny leaves.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
If I were you, I'd put a black background. You can get just a black piece of paper and tape it to the outside of the back glass. That will make a huge difference. The DW is very cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store