FHxSynspilus cross

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
OK peeps, I am trying not to get all my hopes up, but..... How long before I know for sure if these eggs are fertile??

MY little Dandy - Shortbody Red TX Flowerhorn and his gal pal Synspilus Syndy have a pot full, and I mean full of eggs that are about 38hours old. They also have handful of super white eggs mixed in there. Now, I was told and have always known with angels that he white ones are not fertile. But the other 400 or so are dark brownish. The pot is also brown, so I am still trying to keep a head about them. I don't know if he is fertile, so this could be a good thing if they are. I really want these two to be successful. I snapped these shots as fast as possible with my phone just to have something to look at without bothering them much.

I was surprised she used a pot, even though he is partial to that for a resting place. He runs in/out, but mostly patrols. He is especially on guard since he can see the tank next to them with my cryptoheros/convicts etc in there. I am covering that side of the tank to not stress him so. She has stayed with the eggs mostly except to eat and to dig a huge pit in the sand just in front of it. She dug around a rock and now it is sitting on the glass with a 4-5 inch bowl in the sand.

I turned off the HOB filter on their side and placed a sponge over the one on the other side. I used to have this tank divided, until I got these two, thus two HOB and two Rocket filters I got off Aquabid for each corner. They can't suck up fry, so they are both going strong. Here are a few shots....again, these are snapped on the run to not bother them much while I was feeding. You can see the white ones and she has picked a few out like she should. I just hope she gets the others out before they fungus up the good ones.

Pardon the food floating around. :goldfish: And thanks for any advice.

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
She has removed most of the white ones and the rest are brownish. I took a pix and blew it up to try to count them. lol It looks like about 200 are still brownish. There are a few that are clear above that count too. I would be happy if only a few hatch and I can keep them alive. It would prove my little male fertile and maybe they would try again and do better.

I was surprised at the pot for a egg site. I have a bigger rock that I plan to put in there for her if this round goes bust. I think it would give him a better chance as some of these are on the top side inside that pot due to the number she laid. They start at the bottom and go all the way around to about the 3 o'clock mark inside that pot. Maybe she felt safe in there, I don't know.

IF...any hatch, I will try to grab a few to raise in a breeder and let her have a few to try to raise on her own. Then maybe I will have a better chance of something living.

Thanks for the info and the well wishing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store