Bluespot Stingray for Marine Reef

Pyroay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2015
Victoria Australia
This is my first post here.
I am an experineced marine reefer but no experience with rays/sharks
I am setting up a new tank in the comming months and am looking for any advice regarding keeping 1-2 rays in the the tank.
I've purchased and read Scott's book on Sharks and Rays, and done a lot of reasearch on this and other forums.

I'd like to keep 1-2 smaller rays in a marine mixed reef (with no inverts obviously)
Looking at Bluespot Ray's (pretty common in Australia) and not sure if its best to house 2 of them or 1 bluespot and one other breed?

Tank details are
8 x 4 x 2 display tank 1,500 litres
PLUS
600 litre sump with extensive skimmers, filtration etc... plus 1,500 litre reefugium for a total of 2,100 litres
TOTAL 3,600 litres (950 gallons)

Tank will be configred with a 1 1/2 inch sandbed all around with 12inches or so of clear spavce all the way around the edge for the ray and rockwork in the middle. No coral will be on the sandbed

Good flow with some Tunze blowers (6105) + maxspec Gyre

What else do i need to consider?

The rest of the tank will have peaceful reef fish (tangs, anthias, fox face rabbit fish, chromis, butterfly) No triggers or puffers etc... to pick on the rays

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
I do not recommend blue spot ribbon tail at all. From my studies, about 98% or more do not survive in captivity.

Maybe zoodiver could chime in he is the expert.

I would recommend the yellow ray. They are hearty and have even been bred in captivity.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
This is my first post here.
I am an experineced marine reefer but no experience with rays/sharks
I am setting up a new tank in the comming months and am looking for any advice regarding keeping 1-2 rays in the the tank.
I've purchased and read Scott's book on Sharks and Rays, and done a lot of reasearch on this and other forums.

I'd like to keep 1-2 smaller rays in a marine mixed reef (with no inverts obviously)
Looking at Bluespot Ray's (pretty common in Australia) and not sure if its best to house 2 of them or 1 bluespot and one other breed?

Tank details are
8 x 4 x 2 display tank 1,500 litres
PLUS
600 litre sump with extensive skimmers, filtration etc... plus 1,500 litre reefugium for a total of 2,100 litres
TOTAL 3,600 litres (950 gallons)

Tank will be configred with a 1 1/2 inch sandbed all around with 12inches or so of clear spavce all the way around the edge for the ray and rockwork in the middle. No coral will be on the sandbed

Good flow with some Tunze blowers (6105) + maxspec Gyre

What else do i need to consider?

The rest of the tank will have peaceful reef fish (tangs, anthias, fox face rabbit fish, chromis, butterfly) No triggers or puffers etc... to pick on the rays
No tangs, angelfish, or other grazers.
Go with a Cali round Ray, yellow Ray or another small Ray.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pyroay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2015
Victoria Australia
I am aware angel fish can be hit and miss but have not heard or read of any issues with tangs.

A couple of LPS have tangs with their rays and don't seem to have issues.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I am aware angel fish can be hit and miss but have not heard or read of any issues with tangs.

A couple of LPS have tangs with their rays and don't seem to have issues.
Any grazers will graze on your Rays. I had a small brow banded bamboo shark in with a tang and angel and the tang picked on the shark to the point it stopped eating and when separated it just withered away.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
An lfs tank of small (young) short-term boarded marine species is a far cry from an established tank containing long-term adult fish. The territorial instincts between young and older specimens are usually completely different.

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
Being that you are in Australia, you would have a better shot at a ribbon tail doing well as they don't need to ship far. I would suggest the least amount of rock that you can stand in a footprint like that and give more room than 12" all the way around. If you can create space via caves on the floor with secured rockwork you could go with a little more rock.
As far as tangs are concerned, it completely depends on the fish.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Welcome to the forum!
Couple of pointers:
First and foremost, put down that book and find a better source of real info. There is a link at the top of the Shark and Ray section to the Elasmobranch Husbandry Guide. It's online and free. It's a great source for info.

Second, skip blue spots (of any kind) as your first ray. They are hard to keep, even for advanced aquarists.

Rays like to knock over coral. I never suggest mixing them in a home style aquarium.
As for tank mates, avoid any fish that naturally grazes. They like to eat ray eyes and tails. Typically, they will be nothing but trouble at some point.

Pyroay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2015
Victoria Australia
An lfs tank of small (young) short-term boarded marine species is a far cry from an established tank containing long-term adult fish. The territorial instincts between young and older specimens are usually completely different.
Not quite sure what you mean by that?

What LFS tank?

My experience is with Marine tanks with a large number of adult established fish, just not stingrays.

I take on board the points people have made and am aware Angles puffers and other species are known to nip at and cause problems for rays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store