Urgent help needed!!!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I know you've said there was no ammonia, but it kind of looks like a ammonia burn, or a burn of some sort. Paroons have a bit more delicate skin. Any chance chemicals were introduced to the pond? Or have you recently treated the pond with salts or meds?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
I would try a different test kit. You should be seeing nitrate if it is cycled. Looks like ammonia burn.

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I know you've said there was no ammonia, but it kind of looks like a ammonia burn, or a burn of some sort. Paroons have a bit more delicate skin. Any chance chemicals were introduced to the pond? Or have you recently treated the pond with salts or meds?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It really does look like ammonia burn but my test kit show 0ppm. Or could it be that the ammonia is so high that it doesn't register?

I netted my mekong catfish which is the closest thing i got to the paroons and it didnt show any signs and looked healthy. During the day time however, sunlight goes through the pond but i dont think its enough to burn. This is because although ive installed a roof, thensuns rays still seeps through at certain hours.

The other paroons have turned so pale. The one who died showed same symptoms.

I never salted the pond and no chemicals were introduced.

Could it really be ammonia burn? The only other fish i noticed with burns was my nile perch

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I would try a different test kit. You should be seeing nitrate if it is cycled. Looks like ammonia burn.

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I tried the same kit with one of my tanks and it showed a bit of ammonia and nitrate. There are some algae that grow on rhe walls of the tank which some believe to be responsible for the lack of nitrate. Total of 80% weekly wc.

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
It's definitely a ammonia burn. i wouldn't risk loosing your fish maybe there was chemicals in the water you used
i hope they heal soon

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
It's definitely a ammonia burn. i wouldn't risk loosing your fish maybe there was chemicals in the water you used
i hope they heal soon
Thanks man.. I did a major wc and am not feeding for a while. Im wondring why would the other cats not show these signs? (Planiceps/marble /mekong) etc. its like only the paroons and a bit of the nile perch went pale. Im running a drip system (prefiltered with activated carbon) here. Could it be the tap water?

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Thanks man.. I did a major wc and am not feeding for a while. Im wondring why would the other cats not show these signs? (Planiceps/marble /mekong) etc. its like only the paroons and a bit of the nile perch went pale. Im running a drip system (prefiltered with activated carbon) here. Could it be the tap water?

not sure bro but once i added tap water to my tank and one of my tsn's lost all of it's skin and died the next day the others were not affected.
definitely check the tap water it could be the case. around here we have to use anti chlorine to tap water because the water contains a lot of chlorine which is harmful for fish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think ammonia burn should and always (?) does produce some redness.

It does not look the case. Just a lot of slime coat coming off, which means they are very much stressed. The stress factor is up to you to figure out. Seems like water (although could be a disease). Tap water or the incoming water must always be considered a suspect. Double check the test results with another kit or at an LFS, friend, etc.

So much stress from ammonia I'd think would indicate a high level of at least 3-4 ppm. This means that fish would lose their appetite long ago and all of them. And all of them would be very, very stressed and breathing heavy.

Ammonia cannot be not registered by a liquid test kit. If it's out of the high range, the test will be more colored than the highest reference point. Almost black.

Nitrates must always read non zero IME and from reading. Even in heavily planted tanks NO3 is around 5-10 ppm IIRC.

IDK the details of your tap water treatment. Carbon has a limit of adsorption and must be reactivated timely or it is known to sometimes release whatever chemical compounds it had adsorbed in a flooding manner. But that would affect all fish.

In summary, if all other fish are good, look good, eat as usual, then it is not water. It may be a disease specific to your paroons. If other fish are also not themselves, it is most likely the water.

Are you well understocked and well overfiltered? We sometimes forget about these basics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store