Lima Cat Feeding

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
Hey

Last week I picked up a Lima Shovelnose from my LFS at around 6". Won't touch pellets, doesn't even seem to acknowledge them as food. So I went back to the LFS, who who told me that they were feeding on bloodworms and frozen mussel, so I grabbed some of both. Turned the filter taps off, left the powerheads on and threw a couple of cubes of bloodworm in and sure enough, he started eating. Problem is, he pretty much stays still and snatches at anything that touches his whiskers - literately, a bloodworm could float right past his face, but if it doesn't touch his whiskers, he ignores it. I did plenty of research before the pickup and I was led to believe that they are really aggressive feeders, which really doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone else keep Limas and how do you go about feeding them? Thanks.
Steve

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
+1 on lights out. he probably just needs to acclimate to the new tank.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Mine was very timid initially, but he has grown quite bold recently - occasionally charging in front of my Red Tail cudas and my ATF to grab a piece of shrimp. Yours should come around.

At least yours is not shedding massive amounts of slime like mine did when I first introduced him to my tank. I think that was stress related, but I have no way to know for sure.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I've owned one for like 8 months maybe longer. It never eats. Lights on or off. I'm not sure how it's still alive. Won't eat pellets, silversides, shrimp, tilapia, won't even look at live feeders. Occasionally will eat frozen bloodworms or brine but only like yours , if it touches its whiskers or mouth. Won't chase after anything.

Sent from my LGMS769 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
I've owned one for like 8 months maybe longer. It never eats. Lights on or off. I'm not sure how it's still alive. Won't eat pellets, silversides, shrimp, tilapia, won't even look at live feeders. Occasionally will eat frozen bloodworms or brine but only like yours , if it touches its whiskers or mouth. Won't chase after anything.

Sent from my LGMS769 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Man, that sucks. Really hope mine comes around and starts actually hunting for food.

He took a Hikari carnivore pellet last night. Wolfed it down but again, this was sheer luck that it landed right in front of his nose.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
A eating fish is better then a fish not eating at all. Try shrimp, clams, squid and so on. I use to feed my cats a pound of mixed seafood and a hand full of pellets every two days.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
My lima only ate 4 times in the 3 months that i had it. (i sold it because it wasn't active). It ate the mollys i gave it every time petsmart had the sale of 99cent mollys. Other than that it ate pellets once and a common pleco the day after i got it. It refused night crawlers and worms that were offerd 3 times a week. It was a weird fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store