Air Pump or no?

Lindsay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
illinois
Hi guys so i'm about to pick up a 250G tank this week and heard air pumps aren't really needed as long as your filters have good surface agitation? Will my arowana and bichir be ok without air bubbles? I really don't like air bubbles in my tank.
Would using 2 biowheel filters and a powerhead be enough?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
How big are your fish and how many?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
That's pretty massively underfiltered. Oxygen shouldn't be an issue with such a low stock though. At some point you're going to want to look into canisters or a sump, because aros get pretty big and the biowheels won't cut it long term.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
11" Silver Aro
16"+ Ornate Bichir

Yeah i might go with a canister, but never had one, can those harbor bacteria?

short answer is ya they can. If you go canister my advice is no filter pads or sponges or any of that, biomax or some type of ceramic rings only. Also...when you buy it, lube up the o-ring gaskets before you run it. Food safe silicone lubricant or plain ol' vaseline work fine. That'll cut you having to maintain them as frequently.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
2 Emperor 400s will just get you by in regards to bio filtration, but those 2 filters will be lacking in regards to mechanical filtration for that size tank.

If you are on a budget, look into Odyssea and Sunsun canister filters.

Airstone/air pumps won't be necessary

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
No budget 
So if i go with spongeless Canister i won't need the Emperor 400s ?

no keep the HOB's running too. You want the surface agitation for gas exchange. Plus the extra bio filtration will be a big help for a tank that large. You aren't overstocked with the fish at that size but I'm sure once the addiction hits you'll be putting more in there so I'd just be prepared now.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
2 Emperor 400s will just get you by in regards to bio filtration, but those 2 filters will be lacking in regards to mechanical filtration for that size tank.

If you are on a budget, look into Odyssea and Sunsun canister filters.

Airstone/air pumps won't be necessary
budget or not get 2-3 sunsuns....screw paying the same price one fluval or eheim....I wish I would have been smart and bought sunsuns or odyessas instead of my fx6.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
No budget 
So if i go with spongeless Canister i won't need the Emperor 400s ?

I recommend you skip the Emperors for your set up. Sponge type filters work as a bio media just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store