Seachem matrix reviews and thoughts please

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
I'm setting up a 210 gallon tank with a diy sterilite drawer filter on an 80 gallon sump/second display tank. What are your thoughts on using 4 liters of matrix for the bio drawer on my filter tower?

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I think it's good. I think that "Pond Matrix" is the exact same thing for a lot cheaper, though. Look into it, might save you a few bucks.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I'm using lava rocks... much much cheeper and it accomplishes the same goal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Substrat pro is said to be better. That's what I use because of a sale. There is a thread comparing the surface area of various media somewhere around here.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am a Seachem matrix fan , pond matrix, you will need to setup a rotation for adding some new while cleaning the old, can clean the old by boiling it. should do 1/4 of it every 3 months or so. so have extra on hand so you always have some extra to put in filter while cleaning the dirty stuff.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
What you talking bout Willis?

I am a Seachem matrix fan , pond matrix, you will need to setup a rotation for adding some new while cleaning the old, can clean the old by boiling it. should do 1/4 of it every 3 months or so. so have extra on hand so you always have some extra to put in filter while cleaning the dirty stuff.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
matrix needs to be cleaned out every 3 or 4 months or the pores clog up. same as ceramic noodles or any other hard porous media. by doing only part of it you do not lose cycle on the filter. sorry just advise IMHO. :)

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I am not a big fan of either matrix or any other ceramic long term. Yes, they do clog over time. And you can't boil or bleach it out. It clogs with minerals that are a byproduct of the nitrification process. One of the ceramic suppliers, I think Fluval, actually recommends replacing it annually. They don't say why, but it is my guess for the reason stated. I have switched over to Poret foam in all of my filters except my moving bed that uses K1. Poret now offers a foam specifically for MB filters but I have no plans to try it. Poret can only be purchased in the US from Swiss Tropicals. Poret won't break down like ALL other sponge material will over time. It is good for at least 5 if not 10 years. Ever have a sponge filter make it past 2 years?

Reactions: xman01

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Matrix is good but Marine Pure Spheres are better.

Also in relation to replacing ceramic media, I have never had to replace matrix or marine pure, only ceramic noodles, they break up and go all crumbly. Matrix and marine pure don't.

I have never needed to clean either

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store