RBP

AJD4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wyoming
I know rbps love to sit in cover but does anybody know a way to make them come out when I shut my light off they are all over the place I bought a lower power light still nothing any idea

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
I know rbps love to sit in cover but does anybody know a way to make them come out when I shut my light off they are all over the place I bought a lower power light still nothing any idea

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
RBP are shy in nature, However in time once they become used to their surroundings you will notice a more active fish . having larger numbers also makes them feel more secure , adding powerheads for current will also make them more active. even slightly turning up the heat will make them a more active fish.

they generally aren't the active type though. which is why i got out of Piranha keeping after a few years. One thing they do not like is a bright light. perhaps adding some floating plants will make them feel more secure.

1. Floating Plants.
2. Driftwood that breaks the surface and provides lots of cover. Java Fern tied to the drift wood.
3. Keep RBP in a large tank and in sufficient numbers.
4. Use a hanging spot light with led bulb so that only columns of light are made in certain sections of the tank, that way most of the tank is dark with just dappled reflected light. This is key I think, because many fish live in and out of cover and not in pure sunlight - unless you have a huge school, and then I think they loose most fear including the fear of light.
5. Paint the back and sides of the tank a dark color.
6. Use power heads/pumps for a little flow here and there.

That's all i could think of.

Hope it helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store