Quick question

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Hi everyone I have a 350 g tank with 1 rena xp L 1 rena xp XL and 1 fluvel fx6 my question is can I take one of the renas dump everything thats in it and fill it with bio balls? Would this work better? Also I added a extra box of bio rings to the fX6 is this ok? Thx for any input everyone

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Yes, you could do that.
I'm not sure if it would be better or worse than what you currently have.
But the water comes into the into the canister, it will go over the bioballs/rings and it will get colonized by "good" bacteria.
The thing is though.. bioballs are used in a sump because the water drips over them and you get great gas exchange (Co2 out, oxygen in)
In a canister, you don't get that advantage.
So I Guess you could do what you propose, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.. I'm guessing the manufacturer figured out the best
media for it, so why not use what they recommend.. Especially if you are already running that way.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I would keep some type of pre-filter pad in that Rena, without pre-filter all your bio media would fill with all the waste that trap between them, also you should google about FX6 modification to put more Bio media in there if you're good or willing to do some DIY stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store