Red Head Tapajos Breeding Journal and Questions

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
So I have a group of 5 RH Tapajos in a 55 gallon. The tank is turning over 800gph (roughly) via wet/dry and canister. I'm looking to establish a pair.

2 of them are about 4-4.5"
1 is about 3"
2 are smaller at just under 3"

I've been running the tank at 80-81 degrees F

I've noticed the largest one has been gill flaring, coloring up, and really protecting a particular piece of driftwood.

He/she only seems to allow the other large one near it.

However, no eggs yet. The largest one seems to gill flare, dance in circles, and presents a territorial posture/behavior.

I really thought that I'd have some eggs but no luck. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Oops meant to post this in the "Breeding" forum. Maybe a mod can move this?

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Just want to give this a quick bump for input. May also post some pics with a high res DSLR for your guys enjoyment.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
they will prob put down eggs soon, you will notice that once they are ready the orange will become very vibrant. I had a couple that were prob 3" max pair off and put down eggs once. nothing came of it, but it was very interesting even at that small they colored up so it is really a for sure sign. sounds like it will happen for you soon. good luck with your pair there, they are really good parents and its fun to watch them open their mouths and out flow a hundred little fish. are you planning on just keeping the pair?

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
they will prob put down eggs soon, you will notice that once they are ready the orange will become very vibrant. I had a couple that were prob 3" max pair off and put down eggs once. nothing came of it, but it was very interesting even at that small they colored up so it is really a for sure sign. sounds like it will happen for you soon. good luck with your pair there, they are really good parents and its fun to watch them open their mouths and out flow a hundred little fish. are you planning on just keeping the pair?
Was actually about to update. Still no eggs. However, the largest which is starting to throw tail streamers has been belly-fluttering the sand out from underneath one of the driftwood branches along with another. I'm thinking this could be a potential pair. No clue why they're not using the flat driftwood or giant slate across the tank. Been feeding them twice daily in small amounts. Pellets in the AM and one cube of FW frozen Mysis in the PM.

Not sure if I will keep just the pair or the whole group. It's only a 55 so I may just keep the pair. Granted, they're the only fish in there besides an L200 I've had for 8 years now. Kinda torn.

Looking to see if I can get some breeding activity first then go from there.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
As promised, here's a pic of what I believe to be my breeding ready male. Colorful little dude. He's about 4-4.5"

Here is a little smaller pic for an overall perspective.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Nice color and pic,will the pleco pick off some eggs? I have 5-1 inchers growing out now

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Nice color and pic,will the pleco pick off some eggs? I have 5-1 inchers growing out now

Good question. Not sure. Guess we will find out. Now it would be something if they've been breeding and the pleco's been doing that...hence...not seeing eggs. I know people breed them in tanks with plecos so I'm not quite sure.

Had some real promising action this morning. Seems a real pair is forming. They were guarding and cleaning off a large flat piece of slate over where the pleco resides, chasing the other 3 in the group away. Started last night and into this morning when the lights came on. Then they seemed to quit for some reason while I had breakfast. Hopefully I'll see some progress when I come home from work.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Ok definitely have a real pair. The two largest, brightest of the 5 hangout in close proximity under a piece of driftwood. The other 3 are off away from them and are chased away when they come close. Still no eggs though. Very strange. I continue to feed multiple small amounts daily and have added frozen mysis to one meal everyday. I'll continue with large water changes weekly.

Tank temp is 80-81. May bump it a touch higher.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I know some use cooler water when changing water for a trigger.I hope to get a pair later as my 5 grow out,I am interested following your progress

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I know some use cooler water when changing water for a trigger.I hope to get a pair later as my 5 grow out,I am interested following your progress

I'm doubting they're sexually mature yet, to be honest. The behavior is all what you would see prior to eggs:

- Staying in close proximity
- Cleaning off an area to lay
- Constantly courting each other

Nothing yet though. Guess it's bound to happen eventually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store