Single banded gecko enclosure size?

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Hey everyone. I was recently at a reptile expo, and there was a guy selling fourteen little rubbermaid crates for ten bucks, so my friend and I split them. I noticed on the side of one that the scientific name of the Mexican banded gecko was written, and it made me wonder if I could put a single banded gecko in one of them? All the care sheets I can find say the minimum enclosure size is a ten gallon tank, but then it says that's suitable for three or four of them.

The crates are about 11"lx8"wx5"h.

I'm looking into the western banded and the Central American banded. The Central American has more attractive patterns and coloration, and seems to be available at a lower price. Is there any major benefit to one or the other?

Thanks everyone!

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Tubs can definitely work, but the footprint is what it is....and that's on the small side. I find it's harder to get a temp gradient with the smaller sized tubs. Also, you'll probably have to put a few air holes along the sides to cut back on humidity. Smaller tubs can get pretty humid without some ventilation, especially when there is a water dish included. I use that footprint for hatchling crested geckos because they do a good job at holding in the humidity. Of course you're going to want a lower level with Banded's.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
It's got air holes already drilled in it from the previous owner. They were definitely gecko enclosures in the past. Plus, I could easily drill some more, if needed.

For smaller enclosures, I've been using these small Reptile Basics heat pads that dont attach to the tank, so it's easy to adjust how much heat the tank is or is not getting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store