Always wondered... rays lifting front of disk

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Question has bugged me for a while, guess I'll finally ask. My rays sometime, when not against the glass, will lift up the front of their disc for a while, less than a full minute at a time, sometimes goes down but right back up again. Looks almost as if it's trying to take in as much air it can. I don't think this is related to my water quality, sometimes a couple do it, don't think I've ever seen all of them doing it, but it's random times. Always chalked it up to rays being rays, but is this a sign of some sort of stress, perhaps hunger? Happening for a while, various changes in environment due to moving etc. so get the feeling it's not a bad thing.

While I'm it, always wondered whether them riding the glass vertically and making a whole lot of noise and bubbles at the top was a good or bad thing? Always tossed with it in my mind, I think they're just getting exercise and having fun. My one big female rides the powerhead for 15 minutes at a time, feel like it's the same thing.
Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
My rays do it as well.

I think sometimes its to get my attention other times while they are breathing...maybe even "tasting" the water for food.

They seem to be intelligent animals and get bored sometimes splashing around.

Usually when I come in the room its nothing but lips on the glass... Feed me. Lol

Some people will stuff fish and shrimp into those treat balls for dogs just to keep em amused.

So long as your water parameters are ok and no other fish/rays are stressing them they should be fine IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Funny you should say tasting, i almost thought they were sifting through the current for some sort of food particles. Treat ball idea sounds really cool.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Question has bugged me for a while, guess I'll finally ask. My rays sometime, when not against the glass, will lift up the front of their disc for a while, less than a full minute at a time, sometimes goes down but right back up again. Looks almost as if it's trying to take in as much air it can. I don't think this is related to my water quality, sometimes a couple do it, don't think I've ever seen all of them doing it, but it's random times. Always chalked it up to rays being rays, but is this a sign of some sort of stress, perhaps hunger? Happening for a while, various changes in environment due to moving etc. so get the feeling it's not a bad thing.

While I'm it, always wondered whether them riding the glass vertically and making a whole lot of noise and bubbles at the top was a good or bad thing? Always tossed with it in my mind, I think they're just getting exercise and having fun. My one big female rides the powerhead for 15 minutes at a time, feel like it's the same thing.
My marble is always slightly lifting his disk and jumping around. I'm really relieved its not necessarily a bad thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store