How big of fish will and Arowana eat?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
How big of fish will a grown Silver Arowana eat? What is their typical adult size in captivity? (would be in a 700g tank)

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
They will eat anything from great white to minnow size if they are hungry

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
You would have to be more specific about their species as there is variance in the arowana types.
Rule of thumb for predators eating other fish is what ever they can fit in their mouth.
Have a fish too small though and it's likely to be chased often.
Have you got a combination in mind that you want to try?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
You would have to be more specific about their species as there is variance in the arowana types.
Rule of thumb for predators eating other fish is what ever they can fit in their mouth.
Have a fish too small though and it's likely to be chased often.
Have you got a combination in mind that you want to try?

Agreed. It's also going to depend largely on what species you are trying to keep with the aro. A 10 inch eel could potentially make an easy snack for a hungry 24 inch jardini, but a 10 inch oscar would be fine.

In my experience, though, silver arowanas aren't quite as likely as many other predatory fish to attempt to eat something that won't be easy to swallow (though from youtube vids I've seen, I know it can happen). I got away with keeping my oscar with my silver when the oscar was only about 5" long and the aro was around 27", though.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I think I also depends on how many different types and sizes of fish you mix the aro with from young
Also if you feed a lot of feeders

My 28"+ aro wouldn't try to eat 6-7" dats mainly because he was mixed with them from young

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well the stock will mostly be large cichlids, like Oscars, Vieja, a Jag, and Kelberi Pbass, as well as some fish too large to eat, like a Giraffe Cat, Hifin Shark, Fire eel (it will stay in my 120g til is is has put on some good size). So I think most of the fish will be over 12in., but a few of the cichlids like Severums, Carpintus, a few Sunfish sp., a Silver Dat and some plecos and Bala sharks will probably stay a little under a foot full grown. I specifically am sticking to a smaller Pbass and a non predatory catfish because I don't want the smaller fish getting eaten. But I'd like an Arowana (and Silvers are the only real option here except Jardinis) but as potentially the largest growing fish (still unsure how big to expect it to get - I have heard mixed info) I don't want it eating my other babies!

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Also if it makes a difference, I never feed feeders. And it would be raised with other fish from the time is was small.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
allow for a 30''+ fish that is 7'' tall, i had a 14'' silver eat a 5 inch ebjd so at least 30% the aro is a risky minimum ime. theres a youtube vid of a large silver eating a baby rabbit!

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Well the stock will mostly be large cichlids, like Oscars, Vieja, a Jag, and Kelberi Pbass, as well as some fish too large to eat, like a Giraffe Cat, Hifin Shark, Fire eel (it will stay in my 120g til is is has put on some good size). So I think most of the fish will be over 12in., but a few of the cichlids like Severums, Carpintus, a few Sunfish sp., a Silver Dat and some plecos and Bala sharks will probably stay a little under a foot full grown. I specifically am sticking to a smaller Pbass and a non predatory catfish because I don't want the smaller fish getting eaten. But I'd like an Arowana (and Silvers are the only real option here except Jardinis) but as potentially the largest growing fish (still unsure how big to expect it to get - I have heard mixed info) I don't want it eating my other babies!
A silver arowana would not likely eat any of the fish you've mentioned at full size, in my opinion, but differing growth rates could potentially necessitate a separate grow out tank for several of them if they aren't already at or near their adult sizes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store