Choosing an arowana

fishkeeper01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Hawaii
So my question is of the arowana species legal in the U.S. which is the most hardiest species and the one least prone to health problems. I have also read that the species differ in how "jumpy" they are. Anyone help is very much appreciated.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I think jardini are the toughest out of them silvers and blacks , but there also the most aggressive so tank mates will be a gamble , blacks ate very fragile when young and nearly all silvers end up with drop eye , as for jumpiness there all jumpy when young but most soon grow out of it with human contact (people walking past tank spooking etc ), you'll need a tight fit heavy lid for any aro as they all jump

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Deezus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Connecticut
I've kept blacks, silvers, and leis and noticed that blacks jump the least. I still have all tight lids on my tanks though. I also noticed that blacks take a longer time to be comfortable with you walking up to the tank and feeding etc. They are also slower growers than all the other arowanas.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
So my question is of the arowana species legal in the U.S. which is the most hardiest species and the one least prone to health problems. I have also read that the species differ in how "jumpy" they are. Anyone help is very much appreciated.
Lei, or jardini I'd say would best fit the description your looking for. Silvers get DE. And african arowanas if I'm assuming corectly are filter feeders so it can sometimes be hard to get them eating. Blacks are just a lot of money for nothing extra. They end up looking very similiar to silvers once full grown anyway imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
from what ive read afrowana feed like any other after about 8 inch then become very hardy and are the least jumpy and least aggressive, best for a comm. unless someone can correct me thats the best for you imo. only downside is finding a larger one could be difficult, as said very hard to get eating when small hence fragile. i wouldnt even consider silver again, asthetically once it does get de which it will it ruins the fish, best left to the amazon!-)

fishkeeper01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Hawaii
Thanks, my plan was to do just a single arowana in a tank without any other fish in the tank. I was already favoring the leichardti and jardini. Do u guys have a preference between those too?

Carpsalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Oregon
Jardinis get great contours on the body shape after 18 inches but lechartdti have some nice red fins when the get larger and they seem to hit the 24 inch mark more readily.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1423333948.934888.jpg

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
from what ive read afrowana feed like any other after about 8 inch then become very hardy and are the least jumpy and least aggressive, best for a comm. unless someone can correct me thats the best for you imo. only downside is finding a larger one could be difficult, as said very hard to get eating when small hence fragile. i wouldnt even consider silver again, asthetically once it does get de which it will it ruins the fish, best left to the amazon!-)
Afro are nearly as aggressive as a jar when they got big

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store