Fish Tank Aquarium Filter System Hack:

GooRoo

Feeder Fish
Jun 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Fish Tank Aquarium Filter System Hack:

Aquarium Filter Hack:
How to Build an Underwater Fish Tank Filter for Free.

Julie from Coupon-codes-bonus-codes.com on February 7th said:
While doing a maintenance clean up to my Water Filter, the thing would not start running again.
I could feel the Magnetivity working on the impeller, but It just would not spin for some reason.
I futzed with it for a bit before throwing it out. I did get years of quality service out of the filter.
It is likely that the shaft has just worn out through the side of the impeller shaft.
While the filter was working, it didn't have too much noise from the impeller or motor.
So it is a mystery of why that one just stopped working.

After Having discarded the original filter, I needed a new water filter.
I decided to make my own after remembering about these water aerator filter systems (The kind that draw water flow upwards from the bubbles.).
After noticing that I had all of the things to make one, I decided to take on the task.
You will only only need 4 things to make your own fish tank filter.
I used 1 more thing for decoration.

http://coupon-codes-bonus-codes.com/posts/m6760-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Filter-System-Hack ONT.red.png

List of Supplies:

1. One Existing Fish Tank Aerator.
  2. One Terracotta Pot (or like pot).
  3. One vacuum cleaner tight spot accessory attachment. (full size upright accy)
  4. Filter Material Medium (Coarse Scrub Pad Material{Soapless of course})
  5. Optional: One Plastic Weed (one of the ones that always float on the top will work just fine)

List of Tools:

1. Scissors

How to Assemble this Simple Aquarium Filter:

1. Clean all supplies for aquarium use.
  2. precisely cut out the last piece of filter material to fit in the top of the pot snugly. (Reserve for later step)
  3. Stand terracotta pot right side up
  4. Fill any drainage holes by stuffing filter material pieces tightly to restrict water flowing in from there.
  5. lay one layer of filter material in the bottom snugly (not tight).
  6. Set Vacuum cleaner tube in the pot.
  7. Fill up to 75% of the pot with just 1-3 inch pieces of cut up filter material
  8. The final piece of filter material, from step one, is instaled by cutting a hole in it for the vacuum tube go through straight upwards.
  9. Put filter pot in your fish tank in its desired operating location.
  10. Finish by inserting aerator and air hose directly down the vacuum cleaner attachment.
  11. Stick a plastic weed in the filter material for looks.

Description:

This fish tank filter works from the power supplied by the aerator pump.
The bubbles are released low in the tube and travel upwards in the tube creating a draft of water that trails behind the bubbles.
Thus creating water displacement (flow) in the pot through the filter medium.

You can use multiple material types and layer or just one. It is totally up to you and your particular needs.
You can even use just gravel but I imagine that clogging will happen soon if a free flow area is not surrounding the pick up area of the tube (bottom).​

UPDATE:

Although this filter is not the best, I can still recommend it for tanks that typically stay clean.
I would not recommend this type of quick cheap aquarium filter for tanks that are higher maintenance.
My water clarity has improved about 70% after running this style filter for 2 days.

Video and Images Coming Soon! (at next water change)

Aquarium Filter Cartridges, Accessories, and Supplies ONT.red.png

ONT.red.png

GooRoo

Feeder Fish
Jun 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I almost got to taking and posting the filter images at the last water change.
I was just too busy to do it last time.
Next Time. I promise. Next Time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store