Is my male flowerhorn actually a female?

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I recently bought what I assume is an adolescent or nearly adult Flowerhorn cichlid (he is about 12 inches long). When I bought him, the worker at the store said that he thinks that it's a male, but he's not 100% sure. I paid $90 for him. He is now by himself in a 60 gallon tank, other than a 7 inch Pleco. After a few days he began digging a hole in the pebbles until half the tank was bare-bottom and there was a huge pile of pebbles on the other side I tried looking at his sex organs and they look like a male Flowerhorn's in pictures I've found. But he doesn't have the bump on his head. What does this mean? The worker at the store said that he might grow a horn if I put him with a female. I would like to try breeding it, but I want to make sure I know the sex of mine before I buy another one. So is my flowerhorn not fully grown? Is he infertile? Is it actually a female? Will he grow a horn when I put him with a female? I have owned large cichlids before but not Flowerhorns so any advice is helpful.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
We can't really help you without a picture - but sounds like a male, from what you told us from the breeding tube.
Both sexes dig holes.
Not all of them form the nuchal hump.

waleed333

Feeder Fish
Mar 2, 2015
afdfdf
When we remove the females (xcept one) hell get down to business. Not really a problem since they are still breeding but i would like to maximize production if possible. Any suggestions or similar experiences. Just seems backwards from what ive read on the interweb.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store