Comfortable (not minimum) Silver Arowana Tank Size

Andy_R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2014
California
Hi,

I have a 20 inch silver arowana though I got about 5 months ago from someone who had it in a 240 tall. Now he lives my 30 inch wide 300g along with a few American cichlids. From everything I have read that should be a decent tank size for him, am I wrong? However, he seems uncomfortable. He spends a lot of his time swimming into corners and awkwardly turning around. He also shamelessly begs whenever I am in the room. It is kinda sad to see a majestic predator wiggling into the glass in hopes of a snack. My cichlids are lazy, they seem fine in a 300g. All they want is a rock to guard and some fish snacks. The arrow seems like he needs a river to be happy.

I would love to give him a bigger tank/indoor pond but that is at least a year or two away. Will he eventually get used to tank life, or is my tank just not big enough? Should I try and look for someone with an indoor pond for him?

Thanks and sorry this is so long!

Andy

joe5639

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I think thats a comfortable width for it but it will grow larger or could already be stunted.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Are they from rivers with high flow? Could you try putting in a powerful powerhead like reefers use to give home something harder to swim into? My 150g is very tall so I use one to push crap off the bottom toward the overflow, and some of my cichlids, loaches and tetras seem to enjoy trying to swim up the blast of fast flowing water. Sometimes they like to ride down it too...

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
thats better than most would see but should be in huge tank really if he gets to 35inch then tbf i would say a tank 48 inch wide and 10ft long would be ok, they are best left to the amazon really. i have an asian and im worried he will be cramped in my 300g 34 inch width and 84 long... good luck anyway mate and hope you have luck with him, any pics?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
30" wide tank is way to small
36" wide x 84" long should be the bare min

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store