reinforce flooring for a fill test?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hey guys. There is a crawl space beneath the only area in my house that I can fill test my new 300g tank. The floor is reinforced beneath its permenant home, but there is a 180g tank sitting there, stocked.

Do I need to reinforce before a 36 hour fill test? It will NOT be sitting on a pylon, but will be close to a wall.

Thanks.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; here is the web address of an article that talks about the issue.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

There is not enough information in your initial post for someone like myself to give a sound opinion. My take is that it is best for someone with some knowledge and understanding to actually have a look-see at the actual structure and it's current condition. With the tank, stand, substrate and other stuff a 300 gallon tank might weigh up to 3600 pounds.

Good kuck

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
The plan is to simply fill the tank for a test. The floor is fortified where it be staying long term.

The house is older. There is a central beam that runs the length of the house in the crawl space. This beam is supported by concrete pylons. I actually cleared an area on top of one of the pylons. I am guessing that this should be OK for a temporary, 36 hour test.

The 180gallon is also resting some ten feet from where I will conduct the fill test. The main problem is that I do not know anyone with a mind for structural integrity. I will take some pictures. Stand by!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; In my current house some of the floor joists had been compromised with large cuts. I had to sister additional joists in place. If you watch Mike Holmes TV shows you may have seen episodes about new construction with serious structural issues.

In case some missed this thread a while back here is a link to it. A look at the pictures should give pause, they did for me.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-out-there-Question-about-reinforcing-a-floor

I am not sure how the fill test being short term ( 36 hours) will be of benefit if the structure cannot hold the weight? Perhaps some sort of temporary bracing under the floor during the test.

If you own the house, then the risk is your call. If it is someone else’s house, then perhaps a good renters insurance policy for the possible damage?
Good luck

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
CAM04031.jpgCAM04061.jpg

CAM04031.jpg

CAM04061.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
CAM04060.jpg

Awkward time for a pic to get rotated. The second picture is of the pylon it will sit on top of. Cinder blocks support two 2x8 beams that are up against 2x4 beams. The floor is above that.

CAM04060.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store