Wanting to add a GAR.. help please

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Hi,

I currently have a 180g tank which consist of a 6" jag, 8"oscar 6"GT and 5 4" SDs, i would love to add a gar (spotted or florida?). would this mix be good for the long term? what would be the best gar to house in a 180g .. thanks so much

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
A Florida will eventually outgrow your setup. I have two in my 180, with a 300g I'm working on now for when they hit the 15" mark. Great fish! They act like puppies.

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
how long would it take for the gar to out grow the 180? .. if i only have 1, could it work in there long term?... i am un sure of how fast they grow

how big do floridas get in an aquarium, i hear didnt reports

thanks so much

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
Taken from the 'Gar Species Profiles' sticky.

Captive Care Guide

Average Captive Max Size:
Approximately 18” – 22”

Average Captive Growth Rate:
Expect YOY (young of the year) specimens to grow quickly to 9-12” and then plateau.

Growth is much slower during the second year. 2 year old specimens tend to reach 16" and above

After several years growth rate will be drastically slower the closer the gar gets to its ~ max size.

Suggested Husbandry:

Tank Size: For an adult specimen, nothing under 2’ wide and 5’ long is advisable. A 30" wide tank would be even better. While the footprint of the tank is what really matters, adult, captive Florida gars will generally need at least a 180g > aquarium.

Comments: These fish are hardy, relatively docile, easily accessible and look incredible. Definitely the "first gar" if you are only just venturing into gar husbandry.

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Thx for the info, any advice on personal xp? I think I'll remove the Oscar and keep the jag/gt/SDs and add the Fla Gar... Would that work for life in my set up? Would hate to introduce a fish that just can't work. Thanks for all help

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Thx for the info, any advice on personal xp? I think I'll remove the Oscar and keep the jag/gt/SDs and add the Fla Gar... Would that work for life in my set up? Would hate to introduce a fish that just can't work. Thanks for all help
IME my gars go after anything shiny. So I would say the silver dollars might be in trouble at some point. I have two in my 150 right now until I upgrade in a year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
im not so worried about the SDs i can always move them.. its more my Jag, as that my baby!... He's not super aggressive (well toward any fish outside of my oscar! who i may move to make room for the gar)

what do you think. thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store