New species stingray?

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
Just left my local LFS looking to buy some pups and one of the store employees mentioned a new species of stingrays that was recently discovered and only grows to a 6inch disc. Anyone? Tried Google but unsuccessful. Can anyone provide more details to this. It would be great to raise something like this.
#curious

Sent from my SM-N910T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I had a guy on here tell me that "teacups" only get 8". Knucklehead. He also thought "Teacup" was an actual species. He was trying to sell them on here.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
There are two newly named FW stingray species called Pancake stingrays (Heliotrygon rosai and Heliotrygon gomes). These are stinger-less species that grow to about 1 1/2 ft total length. These aren't exactly new. They've been sold for decades as contaminant species mixed in with other 'teacup' species shipments. They were ID'd back in 2011.

Heliotrygon.jpg

Heliotrygon.jpg

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
I had a guy on here tell me that "teacups" only get 8". Knucklehead. He also thought "Teacup" was an actual species. He was trying to sell them on here.
Lmfao that made my day.

OK so he did mention it was not a retic and not a histrix. Supposedly it was discovered just last year sometime.

Sent from my SM-N910T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sounds like a person who really does not know what he is talking about.

My advice- and I'm not selling myself just saying overall with the success my buyer have had vs the horror stories you hear.

You want pups find someone on here like myself who breeds them, grows them out, makes sure they are eating well and will give you the best chance at having a healthy active ray that will not die and is ready to live and grow.
Any responsible breeder will help you know what their pups are eating so you don't have to play the guessing game with food, how well they are eating so you know how often they are eating or need to be fed, and allot of other information to help you have the best chance for success. And also help answer your questions alone the way you might have.

Just don't abuse us, we have life's as well and a lot of mouths to feed usually so are busy like anyone else.
But we are glad to help and want you to have the best experience with rays that we grew and love ourselves.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The only ray discovery (that I've heard of) in the last year is a SW ray called the Fine-Spotted Whip-tail Stingray (Himantura tutul sp. nov.). But, it's not a small species by any means. This species can attain 45".

Himantura_tutul_Zanzibar.jpg

Himantura_tutul_Zanzibar.jpg

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
There are two newly named FW stingray species called Pancake stingrays (Heliotrygon rosai and Heliotrygon gomes). These are stinger-less species that grow to about 1 1/2 ft total length. These aren't exactly new. They've been sold for decades as contaminant species mixed in with other 'teacup' species shipments. They were ID'd back in 2011.

View attachment 1057851
I've never heard of these species Oddball..... I've always wanted a stingray, and I love pancakes - this seems like fate! Sorry to derail OP, but are either of these Heliotrygon species readily available in the trade?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
As stated,these pancakes have been available as accidental inclusions in 'teacup' ray shipments. Now that they've been properly identified, these species should be able to be specifically fished for the trade. However, their sell-ability may be low due to their rather plain coloration.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Oh heck. I just assumed those were washed out preserved specimens. No thanks. I was momentarily excited too.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I will be glad to have these pancake rays in my aquarium, they're enough odd fish without the fancy colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store