Changing substrate.

nbarbagallo98

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Jackson, New Jersey
Hey all,
I have a 75 gallon tank currently occupied by a 4-4.5" Male RTM. The tank currently has pool filter sand in it and I have been wanting to change it to some gravel I bought. I washed and prepared the gravel but I want to know the most effective way of changing the substrate while stressing the fish out as little as possible. He's already skiddish as it is and I want to try and make this as easy on him as I can.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
If you can just vacuum the PFS out with a gravel vac, that'd be the easiest. But, I suspect that the hose/vac would stop when the sand fills it up. Not sure, I've never tried. If I'm right, that puts you scooping out the sand by hand, which I think would be kinda stressful. So you'd have to go real slow. Then putting the new gravel in. I think if it were me, and I were worried about stressing the fish, I'd probably net him out and put him in a 5 gallon bucket of water for 10-15 minutes while I scoop most of the sand out and dump in the new gravel. But, I'm totally guessing. I just added sand to tank with fish in it, and I just rinsed it and dumped it in. The fish didn't seem to mind much at all, but they're bigger, older, and used to me doing stuff like that to them. :)

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Just one fish, I'd remove him from the tank, put him in a clean bucket with tank water and cover it with an opaque lid. Then swap substrates quickly. I just don't see the alternatives (however one removes sand and replaces with gravel) as less stressful. You still have hands and objects in his living space doing a lot of things that might seem dangerous.

If this was a larger fish, especially one that was comfortable as a petted fish or hand fed fish, I wouldn't remove him as he would likely not feel threatened. Smaller and skittish is altogether different to me.

But I'm not a fish, so keep that in mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store