Eel Catfish

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Anyone here have any experience with keeping the "Stinging Eel Catfish" that Wes @ Rare Fish had in a few weeks or a month ago? I cannot remember the genus and species, but they looked like maybe half Bullhead in the front and eel like in the back. The fins have rays in them and go all the way around the catfish's back end without stopping or dividing up into separate dorsal,caudal, and anal fins. Just one long fin that wrapped around the rear half of the catfish. I think that they max out at 12" or so. Thanks.

shipmonkey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
US of A
Plotosus canius

They max out a tad over 12", about 1.5m. The are mostly a brackish/marine species. They are the same genus as the common saltwater coral catfish from the salt water trade.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
They max out at 150 cm which indeed is 1.5 meters. Anything but little.

"Spines associated with anterior fins have potent venom."
http://fishbase.org/summary/8167

Plotosus Canius is one of such major venomous catfish species that is present in the estuaries of eastern India. Sting of these fish produces intense pain, swelling and gangrene of the affected areas. On experimental animals the venom produced hypertension and respiratory failure, cardiac arrest, neuromuscular blockage and the LD50 was found to be 3.9 mg/kg (ip) in male albino mice (Auddy et al, 1993).
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4613-0361-9_15

A five foot animal with venomous spines would seem a bit beyond reach except in the largest habitations.

shipmonkey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
US of A
I looked into getting one from Wes. They look great, but the idea of having a four foot plus long cat that might require salt as an adult killed the idea for me. That an the fact they are highly venomous.

If you get one, keep a log and let us know how it goes. I am curious about their growth rate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store