Poret®aqua Media? Anyone have any insight on this media?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Not a new product. There is a lot of information on their website. Google it and tons more information in German, that you can translate with Google. The guy who owns Swisstropicals has a Phd and is one smart dude. What kind of information are you looking for? I use lots of it and might be able to answer your questions or better yet contact Stephan at Swisstropicals. If you are just looking at it for regular sponge filters one of the best things about it is that it doesn't rot like most sponge filters. Stuff lasts forever.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Not a new product. There is a lot of information on their website. Google it and tons more information in German, that you can translate with Google. The guy who owns Swisstropicals has a Phd and is one smart dude. What kind of information are you looking for? I use lots of it and might be able to answer your questions or better yet contact Stephan at Swisstropicals. If you are just looking at it for regular sponge filters one of the best things about it is that it doesn't rot like most sponge filters. Stuff lasts forever.

Hi Rodger I am looking for info only on their Poret®aqua Media product. I am pretty sure it is fairly new regardless of the website saying it is new. I check the website frequently and have not seen the poret@aqua media which is special technology. Yes their website is informative but I am looking for outside insight not swisstropicals. Would especially like to know if there is any date from aquaculture facilities or waste management on it. They compare it to K1 one and I can get a lot of info solid info supporting k1.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Here is a link to the German manufacturers website regarding the aqua product. http://www.emw.de/en/poretaquas.html & http://www.swisstropicals.com/wp_site/wp-content/uploads/EMW-Fishkeeping-Aquafarm-Filters.pdf
I personally know nothing about Aqua, just have read a little. It is buoyant and obviously has a greater surface area than K1 but I wonder about it clogging over time and needing at the very least squeezed out periodically. I use K1 in my MB filter and have no reason to change (I spent a ton of money on it!!) but have considered adding some to my sump as an addition. I suggest you shoot an email to Stephan. I am sure you can get trade publication articles from him.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Not true! Aquaclear sponges that are soaked over 24 hours in a strong bleach solution will begin to melt. Poret won't.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Not true! Aquaclear sponges that are soaked over 24 hours in a strong bleach solution will begin to melt. Poret won't.
Really? Now that must be really strong bleach, as I've soaked MANY and aquaclear sponge in Bleach for 24 hours (1part bleach to 5 parts water however), especially before long term storage for media that will be out of use(Military PCS moves, etc..)

Not "doubting", just stating my experience. Will keep this in mind however! Also, the pores on the poret looks quite a bit smaller than the aquaclear sponges, so looks like it will hold larger colony of BB per volume overall...

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Here is a link to the German manufacturers website regarding the aqua product. http://www.emw.de/en/poretaquas.html & http://www.swisstropicals.com/wp_site/wp-content/uploads/EMW-Fishkeeping-Aquafarm-Filters.pdf
I personally know nothing about Aqua, just have read a little. It is buoyant and obviously has a greater surface area than K1 but I wonder about it clogging over time and needing at the very least squeezed out periodically. I use K1 in my MB filter and have no reason to change (I spent a ton of money on it!!) but have considered adding some to my sump as an addition. I suggest you shoot an email to Stephan. I am sure you can get trade publication articles from him.
supposed to be self cleaning like K1 but who knows

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store