older cb koliba and ansorgii pics?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Does anyone have pics of older cb koliba and ansorgii you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm curious about how these shape up. I am mostly interested in specimens that are 8" or more. Thanks.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I was looking specifically for captive bred specimens, oddball. I'm curious to see what sort of phenotypic variance exists between they and their wild caught counterparts. Size is said to be a major difference, but what about coloration and pattern? Skull shape?

I'm also curious to see how these changes occur over generations, and why.

most CB ansorgii are hybrid. mixed with endilicheri the hs is different from Wc ansorgii
I've heard this mentioned. Is there a reason they are hybridized?

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Cb koliba just look just like their wc counterparts as they are all F1 and only been captive breed on late 2013. It's when F2-F3 been mass inbreed then I'm pretty sure some changes on the snout will start to show up. Just like how ansorgii and tuegelsi CB back when they first appeared as F1 they look like WC. However u see them more now with blunter snout and much shorter body.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I came by a cb koliba in October. What is the likelihood that that it is f1? Its base is amber in color, with chocolate patterning. This is not a coloration I have seen in WC koliba. Perhaps this is the standard juvenile coloration? I had thought it a result of the breeding process, perhaps the hormones, or inbreeding.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Just a heads up. Some newly breed F1 nigerian lap are also labeled as cb koliba.

As for likelyhood of being F1, as I said in my previous post. They are newly captive breed around late 2013. Mostly the F1s are not yet mature enough or big enough to be breed since it's only early 2015 now. My cb koliba I got in Oct 2014 at 3" are only 9" still very slow growth. Expect changes around 2016-2017. Just likes tuegelsi when they first captive breed back in 2008 they look
wc. Then in 2010 they look very they become what we see them today for cb.

It's the F2 or F3 that will start to deformed if mss breed since they are inbreed. Unless the f1 they have breeds with another batch of f1 or another wc then it will still be f1 and continue to have good genetics. However if inbreeding continues we are most likely will see what we normally see in cb bichirs nowadays. Short blunter snout, a bit shorter body, arch back, frog eyes on some, shorter finlets and narrow caudal pendacle.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Its a confirmed koliba. The only picture available is of its arrival last year:

CAM03150.jpg

I'll try to take more this week. Mine has grown very little since its arrival. The dealer sent it to the wrong address, and it went on a month long hunger strike after that ordeal. It now eats hardily, and has put on a few inches.

CAM03150.jpg

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
Just a heads up. Some newly breed F1 nigerian lap are also labeled as cb koliba.

As for likelyhood of being F1, as I said in my previous post. They are newly captive breed around late 2013. Mostly the F1s are not yet mature enough or big enough to be breed since it's only early 2015 now. My cb koliba I got in Oct 2014 at 3" are only 9" still very slow growth. Expect changes around 2016-2017. Just likes tuegelsi when they first captive breed back in 2008 they look
wc. Then in 2010 they look very they become what we see them today for cb.

It's the F2 or F3 that will start to deformed if mss breed since they are inbreed. Unless the f1 they have breeds with another batch of f1 or another wc then it will still be f1 and continue to have good genetics. However if inbreeding continues we are most likely will see what we normally see in cb bichirs nowadays. Short blunter snout, a bit shorter body, arch back, frog eyes on some, shorter finlets and narrow caudal pendacle.
Its a confirmed koliba. The only picture available is of its arrival last year:

View attachment 1058224

I'll try to take more this week. Mine has grown very little since its arrival. The dealer sent it to the wrong address, and it went on a month long hunger strike after that ordeal. It now eats hardily, and has put on a few inches.
So as King-El stated. the more Cb/inbreed the more they look like the pic you posted lion. The Hs is blunt and not elongated. Me though i never seen or dealt with Lapradei sp's that small. smallest is prob 8" but there head with more long. not blunt. :p

My hybrid. It has frog eyes, and a Funky head. all the CB endilicheri's i had. same thing.
003.JPG040.JPG

003.JPG

040.JPG

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
When they are at a juvenile stage of 4-6" or less many will show a shorter face. It's when they get to 7-12" is where u will confirm the adult snout if its elongated more wc or blunter more inbreed cb.

Here was the pic when I first got my cb koliba.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store