How NOT to clean your FX5/6 (or any cannister/ HOB filter)

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsyUERLGP60

Aquatic newbies and novices, it is NOT necessary or a good idea to use the same PUTRID water to CLEAN AND reprime/refill your cannister, or any filter. As a matter of fact, the water in that cannister should have been discarded FIRST, and those pads should have been cleaned in CLEAR part of the water from the water change. As as SIDENOTE, please realize that in "general", only the ACTUAL "bio media" in the center of the baskets needs to be cleaned in aquarium water, unless youer tank is NOT biologically stable/overstocked.

If your tank is stable, you can rinse the foam/sponge pads with a outside water hose nozzle to BLAST ALL of the detritus out of them, leading to a lower NITRATE level even. The ceramic BIO MEDIA is all thats needs to be kept from chlorine, and rinsed in aquarium water, NOT THE MECHANICAL MEDIA..... I've done it this way for over 28 years(as well as many other veteran aquarium keepers), with NO ill effects. Thats NOT to say that the sponge is not BIO ACTIVE, just saying that as long as your tank is stable and not heavily overstocked, then losing that amount of bacteria in those sponges should be NEGLIGIBLE to say the least, as there is STILL bacteria in your tank (gravel/walls/deco/additional filtration, etc) to make up for losing that small amount.

I am saying this because I keep seeeing people cleaning their filters improperly like this guy did in the video, and then they always wonder why their tanks look horrible, or smell, when what he just did was just, just UNBELIEVABLY STUPID. You're NOT removing enough of the decaying matter/detritus to keep your Nitrate levels in check.

First, He half Arse cleaned the media in EXTREMELY DIRTY WATER, and then put ALL of the dirty water and media RIGHT BACK where he started. HOW IDIOTIC have you got to be??? He essentially just WASTED HIS TIME, and likely harmed his fish MORE by doing this...

***As I have gotten older I have noticed that each generation appears to have less and less COMMON SENSE"****

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I've always cleaned all my media/filter parts in regular ol' tap water. Rinsing everything in tank water is inefficient and a waste of time imo. I've never had a crash or unstable readings after filter maintenance. a good dose of prime would take care of any chlorine or chloramine you folks may deal with.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
PK87, I agree 100%. I howevergenerally draw clean water in a bucket and use dechlorinator in it before cleaning any parts that need declorinated water(bio media), while taking tha mechanical media outside to properly blast with the high pressure hoze nozzle. As long as you have redundant bio/filters(I always have at least 2 to 3 filters per tank, usually 2 HOB, 1-canister)), and alternate cleaning filters, either way you are fine...

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
PK87, I agree 100%. I howevergenerally draw clean water in a bucket and use dechlorinator in it before cleaning any parts that need declorinated water(bio media), while taking tha mechanical media outside to properly blast with the high pressure hoze nozzle. As long as you have redundant bio/filters(I always have at least 2 to 3 filters per tank, usually 2 HOB, 1-canister)), and alternate cleaning filters, either way you are fine...
yup agreed, luckily I have well water in the backwoods of PA so chlorine doesn't effect my maintenance lol.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've always cleaned all my media/filter parts in regular ol' tap water. Rinsing everything in tank water is inefficient and a waste of time imo. I've never had a crash or unstable readings after filter maintenance.
I couldn't agree more....

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I am another who cleans with tap water. 45 years of doing it that way.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
:ROFL:OMG i'm dying on the floor laughing! Why the heck would someone clean out all their filter media and then dump all that nastiness Back into their filter??!! He just wasted his time and effort! Unbelievable!:ROFL:

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
:ROFL:OMG i'm dying on the floor laughing! Why the heck would someone clean out all their filter media and then dump all that nastiness Back into their filter??!! He just wasted his time and effort! Unbelievable!:ROFL:

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I keep 2 canisters or 2 methods of filtration on every tank. I rotate maintenance. In the summer I blast the canister in my driveway with cold water from the hose. In winter I blast my canisters with hot water from the shower.

I don't feel like I personally can adequately clean them in a bucket of tank water.

I'm no bioligist but it's my educated guess that not 100% of the beneficial bacteria is killed in my psychotic rampage with chlorinated tap water. Most of the bacteria dies, probably the weaker organisms, leaving the super mean bacteria to repopulate. The filter should bounce back quick. . And im not so worried nitrates because I removed the detritus and biofilm efficiently.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store