Help!!! Snails in my cycling tank?

skippydoda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2015
London
hi guys fairly new to fish keeping after a long time away from the game. I'm currently 7 days into my fish less cycle and I awoke to see around 20 tiny white snails (maybe more) on my tank glass. After researching on the Internet I think I've been infected with MTS....whoopty bloody doo....so after the intensive research from the web it seems these little things are near impossible to irradicate but surely someone out there must be able to help. There's no source of food in there so how are they alive???

My main concern is are they going to affect my two fx5s propellers? I opened the filters and saw quite a few small ones in there so are they going to churn it up?
I'm planning the 150gal as a grow out tank for the mighty p.bass so all the info I've read about getting rid of them is by adding loaches to my tank!? These aren't going to help, well apart from keeping my mini monsters well fed.

So any help to 1 get rid of would be great and 2 any info if they are going to be a problem for my filters and solutions to prevent a broken propeller

:ROFL:I thought my first thread would be more exciting then this!

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
my fish ate all the MTS in my tank. It was either the bichirs or a black ghost knife that did them in.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
loaches, or darters if they are available to you over there. you wont have one snail left.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
only way you are getting rid of snails is by picking them out yourself or keeping a fish that eats them. Copper based medications will kill them but also your beneficial bacteria resulting in a recycle of the tank.

p.s. put fish in your tank and help the cycle along anyhow...fishless cycling takes waaaaaaaaay to long.

skippydoda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2015
London
But the bass will surely eat the loaches before they hit the bottom?? Haha the ammonia is through the roof atm as are nitrites so any poor fish that goes in that mix are going to live a rubbish short life and no doubt be food to the bloody snails ����

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
you will have a tank bottom littlered with snail shells, ask me how i know. no way to get rid of them other than doing a complete cleaning and using new bio media and substrate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store